Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone im new here and im hoping someone has an answer for my problem. easiest was to decscribe it is to run it down for you so here it goes.

I got the car back in march it needed some body work but it ran great, its a 2009 dodge avenger sxt 2.4L with a automatic transmission (not sure but I think all the 2.4s come with autos). a couple weeks ago I was driving and the car idled down really fast, slowed me down to probabley 20mph, and it would sputter when I hit the gas. Sometimes it would die sometimes not but I could always get it to act normal by killing it and restarting it but that wouldn't last long. The ETC light also came on so I came the conclusion I needed a new throttle body, replaced the throttle body and that took care of the ETC light but now theres a misfire. Now when I start the car it seems to run fine but the check engine light will flash for maybe 30 secs if that then it will just stay on, if I rev it up and it will do it again. Now if I rev the car and hold it between 2000 and 3000 rpms (yes it only happens between those rpms ive tried revving it differently and it returns to normal) it will start sputtering and then idle down to about 500 rpms and the whole car will be shaking hard but the check engine light will not be flashing not even if I rev it up again after it starts shaking. turning off the ignition and restarting the car will make it return to normal. key dance shows nothing and my scanner only shows codes P0300 and P0301. so far I have checked the plugs they look good and I swapped around the coil packs and that made no difference, right now theres a can of sea foam running through the fuel system but that doesn't seem to be helping either. new map sensor as well.

well that's it any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
We need way more info to help diagnose your problem. What mileage, what maintenance has been done, plugs, coil packs? Plugs are cheap and be sure to use what your car came with, don't try different than OEM. Coil packs can go bad and arc. Make sure to use dielectric grease inside the boot. Seafoam works well but takes a bit of time to work its way thru the system. When all this info is available someone should be able to guide you thru the problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the mileage is around 180,000 and the only maintenance ive done so far is swapping around the plugs and coils to see if the misfire follows it. the throttle body and map sensor have both been replaced

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Without knowing the past service history the plugs and coil packs would be first on my list. Make sure to use the brand of plugs that the engine came with. I would also research the brand of coil packs and replace them as well. P0300 carries a broad spectrum of misfire faults and by eliminating the plugs and coils you have a good starting point.

·
Premium Member
6,806 Posts
Crank Sensor is a common cause of this situation also, and in many cases has been known to NOT throw a code for it. When doing any changes to effect repair...do a hard reset of the computer to get it back to base program and not trying to run from stored memory self settings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts