Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was washing the R/T on Saturday...It was a decent day in the middle of winter...I had my chrome polish out ready to polish the optional 18" wheels, when I realized or at least belive they are plastic covers??

Am I an idiot or are they really chromed plastic? Not sure how I missed that when opting for the chrome...
I feel kinda ripped off...:doh:I shoulda stuck with the standard 18 inchers...

I still love the car, and it looks mice with the chrome...Just wish they weren't plastic...

·
Registered
49 Posts
haha, i did the very same thing. I was actually admiring my wet, black rt, then i focused on the rims, bent down and felt them, What the Fack !!!!!

:shakehead:I couldnt believe it. I guess thats what chrome clad is, i always wondered. but lets be honest here, they are very nice rims, Plastic chrome cover or not, Just dont tell anyone and theyll never know the difference.

Then i pondered to myself what is underneath those covers ?? Its gotta be the same shape, which i really do like. I'm assuming its just the 18"aluminum wheel.

I was a little upset at first about it to, but they look really nice and shine up really well, and who the hell is gonna know, you and me maybe, hey, it took me driving it for 2-3 weeks to figure it out.:smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
That is funny right there... :doh: well at least they are 18". You probably ought to measure them to make sure they are really 18"...lol. Sorry. This was this first thing I looked at tonight. Just brought a mild smile to my face...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yep! Plastic! I feel like I got the shaft to but......live and learn I guess. At least they wont be pitting and rusting out.....if thats any consequence.......not!!!! ;)

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Plastic chrome

Lets hope you don't have problems down the road. Make sure you don't use anything too aggresive to clean the wheels.
Kind of glad I got the nicer 17"
:att:

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I think we have yet to see pics of whats underneath the chrome cladding. Maybe its the same shape, maybe not. I'd be interested to see. But the chrome really sets off the car imo, in comparsion to the dull (ie not chromed) 17" wheel. I think I would like black wheels too, but I can't complain about the chrome. :)

Theres a couple of avengers here at work, and some sebrings, none of which have the chrome wheels. Everytime I see them, I'm glad I got my chrome ones. :)

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
I looked at a close up of some on eBay, and I can't really tell a shape from the back of the wheel. How is the chrome attached to the wheel? I think they look nicer than the other wheels, but they are plastic... Just don't scrub too hard on them.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Its too back that isn't a pic of the front side with the chrome removed...I wonder if we could find something in a junkyard somewhere to take a pic...surely theres a wrecked chrome clad wheel out there with the cladding off..

·
Registered
27 Posts
It took me about a month to figure out they where plastic covers. I was hand washing my car when I saw they where plastic. Live and learn ditto,

james

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, at least I wasn't the only one that was surprised...I thought I might have been...I would like to see what they look like underneath...:4-dontknow: but being winter here, I probably won't be looking for a while...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know they are the same shape in the back cause the day I was bringing the car home two blocks from my house I got a nice big chunk of metal in the brand new right rear Bridgestone. Nice big flat first day of having it and not even 30 miles on it. Sucked!!!!!

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
I have the chrome clad wheels and after 24000 miles they seem to be holding very well and they are easy to keep clean.

You have 24k on your car already?? Do you drive 200 miles a day or something?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The wife had an 07 PT GT with the 17's (I think) and we had the car for almost 6 months before I noticed they were plastic covers! I have to say that since they do such a good job of fooling you I was impressed. They started to FADE after about a year which was the only drawback, but if they are cheap to replace then I can see how this is a benefit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts