Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I were to order a new Avenger SXT with the options I want, to save money on the things I really don't want, is it still possible to negotiate the price down from the MSRP that the dealer tends to inflate? I've heard of people ordering Avengers before and getting them at invoice pricing, but I wasn't sure.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If I were to order a new Avenger SXT with the options I want, to save money on the things I really don't want, is it still possible to negotiate the price down from the MSRP that the dealer tends to inflate? I've heard of people ordering Avengers before and getting them at invoice pricing, but I wasn't sure.
It really all depends on the dealer and you honestly. I've owned a ton of cars and consider myself a pretty good negotiator at this point. My experience has been that unless you are getting a set price (like Ford's X-plan etc), Rarely will you get as good a deal ordering as you can by getting something from dealer stock.

Now if you can get an employee pricing type deal or have one of those rare dealers that sells everything for $500 over invoice or something then go for it. Otherwise I would suggest just finding a dealer that seems to be willing to deal, find a car that has what you want and start using the things it has that you don't want/care about in your bargaining.

·
Registered
565 Posts
In most cases no there is not much room to negotiate (at least as much as you can on a car already on the lot). Here's how it was explained to me by several dealers. The MSRP of the vehicle is set by the manufacturer based on the options. The options on the vehicles are determined by the manufacturers, dealers simply receive X number of vehicle models per week and don't have a choice in saying what options they want on them most of the time (some that do huge volumes or live in areas where certain options are always wanted may have a say).

I wasn't too excited about the chrome clad wheels on my 08 avenger. I was told that If I wanted to change them out, I'd have to buy set of wheels as accessories. They couldn't simply swap them with wheels from another vehicle on the lot. This is in part due to dodge setting the MSRP, wheels being associated with the VIN, the wheels being on the sticker in the window (dealer can't change it). What am I going to do with 2 sets of wheels? More hassle to just simply keep the chrome ones.

As far as price, since the dealer does not have the vehicle on the lot, he's not paying for it. He will offer less discounts to sell that vehicle than one on the lot they he already has paid for or is paying for. Also, different shipments can come in with different factory to dealer incentives. So 2 vehicles may have the exact same options yet a different color may cost the dealer 2 different prices (or it could be the same color for that matter). He may be willing to deal more with 1 color over the other.

Do shop around and ask for quotes - get it in writing! Some dealers offer $500 over invoice, some offer invoice price. Some dealers will also "eat the cost" of processing (doc fee, title fee, etc) if you order. What I'm saying is, some dealers can save you a lot of money. I considered ordering an avenger because I couldn't find one in marathon blue. I shopped at the 3 closest dealers and received 3 different prices. One dealer even included the cost of a full tank of gas on the quote and didn't charge any fees except the Georgia state required lemon law fee of $3. One dealer offered invoice price, another offered $500 over invoice. The dealer offering $500 over would not go to invoice price. The dealer at invoice price would not match the dealer with the no fee quote.

Under no circumstance let the dealer convince you that the invoice price they print up is their REAL cost. It's simple to understand. Why would a dealer offer to sell a vehicle at invoice or even $500 over invoice if that was his real cost. That means he's breaking even or only making $500 on the deal. They couldn't stay in business that way. I got into a little argument with a sales manager over this once.

the downside to not ordering, you may not get every option you want. will you be 100% happy without something? You need to decide what you MUST have and what you WOULD LIKE TO HAVE. Another downside, if you add an accessory like i did with my remote start, it's not covered under the factory warranty. Even though i had a dodge dealer install a dodge remote start, it's only covered for 1 year (mopar accessory warranty) and not the full 3 years/36000 miles that it would have been had it come from the factory that way. Of course, sometimes it comes down to price. what are you willing to pay.

sales are down, the factory may be offering more dealer incentives that are public (like $1000 off, free mygig, etc) and private (factory to dealer incentives - say $1000 off SXT, $2000 off R/T). The dealer won't tell you about these because he can make an extra $1000 or $2000 on a vehicle sale based on my example.

Also i encourage you to look into your own financing. And I also suggest you never give a dealer a monthly price, give a total price (do a little math based on various rates to get a ball park estimate of your monthly price - use one of the many auto calculators on the internet - include sales tax for the county you live in and $500 for fees for a more accurate number). If you say you can afford $500 a month and you want to use dealer financing, the dealer may get you in at $480 a month at a bank he gets kickbacks from with a higher interest rate then another bank he may not get kickbacks from or may get less kickbacks from and have a lower interest rate. He may meet your $500 month payment but you may get a better payment using a different bank.

Just some tips I've learned over the years in car buying. Good luck.

- Dan M

Reactions: Sphinx

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the help guys, VERY informative!

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
Well I ordered my car from the dealer cause they didn't have what I wanted on their lot, and I pretty much just got green sheet. My wife's grandma's husband worked at Chrysler at one point in time before he passed, so that is how we got that. But the only real bargaining power I had was on my trade in. Even if I would have bought off the lot, that would still be my same situation. For some reason, the dealers don't want to bargain when you have green sheet... :|

·
Registered
38 Posts
I ordered min from a dealer and I think that I got a pretty good deal even ordering it.The first dealer wouldn't really move on the price but when I went to the next one they worked the deal as if it was in their inventory already.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Hmm leasing is different as its based on the residual of the car, but in case you are leasing I have found the average to be 3-6K less than MSRP (then you are leased out only what you use of that total cost) - not sure if this kind of the same for buying, although leasing may have higher MSRP's than buying....no idea...maybe Dan would know :p

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
Hmm leasing is different as its based on the residual of the car, but in case you are leasing I have found the average to be 3-6K less than MSRP (then you are leased out only what you use of that total cost) - not sure if this kind of the same for buying, although leasing may have higher MSRP's than buying....no idea...maybe Dan would know :p
Leasing still has the same price, you are just paying on the depreciation of the car, instead of the MSRP of the car.

I have actually seen it work out better to buy a car, as to lease it. Just my own experience though.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Leasing still has the same price, you are just paying on the depreciation of the car, instead of the MSRP of the car.

I have actually seen it work out better to buy a car, as to lease it. Just my own experience though.
Yeah I know I know...my problem is I like cars too much...lol if next years model has a 3.8L I will want it...that's how ridiculous I am :p so leasing is better for me :D

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
Yeah I know I know...my problem is I like cars too much...lol if next years model has a 3.8L I will want it...that's how ridiculous I am :p so leasing is better for me :D
Yeah, I can understand... My wife thinks she needs to trade her car in every time the require the emissions to be tested. I am not sure if she has ever owned a car past 2 years. Me on the other hand, I have had several cars, but I have never traded them in, and I have only sold 1. All the others were in accidents. None of them my fault, just someone hitting me, and they were totaled.

Good luck with your lease stuff. I hope you at least stick around after you decide to trade her in! I enjoy reading your posts!

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Yeah, I can understand... My wife thinks she needs to trade her car in every time the require the emissions to be tested. I am not sure if she has ever owned a car past 2 years. Me on the other hand, I have had several cars, but I have never traded them in, and I have only sold 1. All the others were in accidents. None of them my fault, just someone hitting me, and they were totaled.

Good luck with your lease stuff. I hope you at least stick around after you decide to trade her in! I enjoy reading your posts!
LOL Oh I'm here for 35 more months at least! lololol

·
Registered
412 Posts
If your buying new leasing can be a good option. And the residual on the Avenger is very strong. Residual=what its worth at end of lease. The other thing I looked at was that the GFV-garranteed future value doesn't change. even if Actual Cash Value is lower. And if the ACV is higher then that is like having extra cash when you trade/turn it in. Also when the lease is over you have no debt. Where as with a conventional loan after 2 or 3 years you still have 2 or 3 years of payments and a car that is running out of warrantee.

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
Yeah, leasing is an option, but you are renting a car for two to three years, and at the end of it you have nothing to show. That is just my opinion. The only reason I would lease a car is to keep the payments down. Then I would buy it out at the end. I just think you are wasting money through a lease. Hey, if you like never having to worry about cars out of the warranty, then this is for you. But again, you have nothing to show for it after it is all said and done. Yeah you get into a new car every couple years, but still that is all you have. You are driving the dealers car around, and when you turn it in, he will make more money from you by selling it at a higher, sometimes lower, than the GFV value.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I plan on keeping this one for about 10 years, hopefully. I figure sometime between here and there, I'll be buying a 2nd car for the wife.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts