Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own I 2011 dodge avenger it's a good car but while in park or idle it gets hot it has no leak fans work everything. But when I hit my has pedal in park it goes down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you smell anything sweet, like syrup from the engine bay? If so, you could be leaking coolant. I'm no mechanic, but the temp going down after you give it some gas makes me think it could be a faulty reader, and your engine isn't actually getting that hot. Could be wrong though

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you smell anything sweet, like syrup from the engine bay? If so, you could be leaking coolant. I'm no mechanic, but the temp going down after you give it some gas makes me think it could be a faulty reader, and your engine isn't actually getting that hot. Could be wrong though
Smells normal

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Sounds like a water pump on its way out. If fluids are all good and temp goes down when revving it means the water pump is wearing out.

Reactions: Patman

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I'm not sure how much as I'm not sure of how the 2.4 is put together. Most water pumps today have plastic impellers and do wear over time. The metal impellers last longer but are more expensive.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's an easy replacement job. No special tools required. I have a 09 2.4 and I replaced mine in less than 1 hour.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had an older car that did this and it was the thermostat.I would start there just because it's the easiest and cheapest.If you wanna test the old one,you can remove it and put it on the stove in a pot.Boil water and if it doesn't open,it's bad

·
Registered
100 Posts
My first thought was water pump but like mentioned it possibly could be thermostat which is cheap and easy to try first. The light doesn't come on till it redlines

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem. One of my thermostats... yes I said one of... there are 2. Was stuck half open. Giving it the gas forces more flow thru the 1/2 open thermostat. Be careful with the housing. It's plastic and expensive.

·
Registered
Dodge Avenger SE 2.4L
5 Posts
Change idler pulleys and serpentine belt while you are there. Also replace belt tensioner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts