Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having an issue with my 2012 dodge avenger...the trunk and sunroof won't open! I changed the fuse and checked each one! The only one that was bad was a 15 amp fuse but I don't have the owners,manual to see what controls the sunroof and trunk fuse! Can someone let me know what I should do or what can be wrong! The key won't open or close it just once in a blue moon!

·
Premium Member
6,323 Posts
When you do get to open the trunk, do you get water coming out of the trunk lid? And since you found a blown fuse, did you replace it with the same rated(but new) new fuse? The sunroof is not usually used as much as the trunk, and are probably used thru the same fuse circuit. The electric latch motor for the trunk may be going bad and blowing that fuse.Which is why I ask about water in the trunk lid, a common quirk from a faulty 3rd brake light seal that's easily fixed with some RTV sealant or a new gasket.
EDIT: the fuse box cover usually has description of the main use for each fuse.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't seen any water leaking from the trunk! I didn't change the main fuse like 30 and 40 because I'm scared of messing up the computer system it runs off of!

·
Premium Member
6,323 Posts
Are you saying fuse 30 and 40 as an example or that they are bad also? With key OFF you should be able to remove any fuse what do you think would happen anyway if they were blown("mess up computer).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I was using those numbers as examples! I did have the car off as I checked the smaller fuses! Just didn't change the big fuse numbers!

·
Premium Member
6,323 Posts
Well as you can see by my avatar, I have the Coupe (old gen.) and electricals are different. Be patient and I am sure our newer Gen. owners will be around and can help you out about fuse descriptions. But did this recently start happening or has been a long term problem about the 2 functions "misbehaving"?

Rating , not exact color shade is what counts. But the color coding is a universal standard for all vehicles.

·
Premium Member
6,323 Posts
Does it still blow that 15 amp fuse? if so then there is a shorting power wire to metal in that fuse circuit.

·
Premium Member
6,323 Posts
So cig. lighter not working did you try the trunk after fuse replacement? Would bet you have a blown fuse again and might be coming from a bad cig. lighter unit. and that circuit probably powers trunk and sunroof.

·
Premium Member
6,323 Posts
Hope that will take care of that problem for you, it is a rather small fix to do as for cost of things. You may even want to check your phone charger cord!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I fixed it...do you believe a penny was in the charger hole so it kept short circuiting the fuse! That's why the fuse blown! So I changed the fuse amp and now my sunroof opens! Just got wonder about the trunk! One thing at a time but I fixed the cigarette lighter fuse! Can you believe a penny got stuck in it! Thank you

·
Premium Member
6,323 Posts
Well that's one way for a "lincoln" to throw things into a tizzy! Truly a "BAD PENNY". As far as the trunk goes,can you open it from an inside button on the dash? If not there is a cable you can reach from trough the backseat "pass through.
Pop the trunk open and use some spray lube oil on the moving parts of the trunk latch and try working the trunk latch while it is open, using the key fob to see and hear if it is working.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I changed the battery so I can open it..bit as for the inside that isn't working but as long as I can open it with the remote I should be fine!

·
Premium Member
6,323 Posts
Yup, a good battery for the keyfob does amazing things! Glad the THREE concerns you had seem to be "worked out " now!
Now why not head to the Newbie Check In Page and introduce yourself and 'Venger to the whole Forumz Family?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts