Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first time looking through a forum ever, I currently own an Avenger 08 2.4. What I love about the car is how easy you can access to almost every part without much struggle and maintaining it has been so easy. However, the code p0301 is not going away with anything, spark plugs, coils, inyectors and its connectors all new, new crankshaft sensor and still the code is there. The only thing other members say fixes that code is reflashing the computer which I haven't done yet. But I think it can be the path I should take, any other suggestions before trying that?.

·
Hey y'all, watch this!
449 Posts
Only thing I could suggest is maybe a compression test of all the cylinders to make sure you don't have anything mechanical wrong. I'm sure a few of the others will chime in sometime soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only thing I could suggest is maybe a compression test of all the cylinders to make sure you don't have anything mechanical wrong. I'm sure a few of the others will chime in sometime soon.
Thanks, I appreaciate the answer, engine is working fine so far, I can easily take it to 90mph without any trouble but the light just keeps flashing, I'm not moving the car at all just to ensure the cat converter doesn't explode or something.😂

·
Premium Member
6,563 Posts
Well, it's definitely for #1 cylinder. The only thing posted not being checked yet is the wiring and connectors for coil and injector back to the ECM. There have been a few posts of finding broken wires along the harness that will give the same code due to being "in the system" for providing power and ground for those parts you already changed.
Good Luck, and welcome to the Forumz! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it's definitely for #1 cylinder. The only thing posted not being checked yet is the wiring and connectors for coil and injector back to the ECM. There have been a few posts of finding broken wires along the harness that will give the same code due to being "in the system" for providing power and ground for those parts you already changed.
Good Luck, and welcome to the Forumz! :)
Thanks for the good wishes and answer, I'll give it a shot at tracing wiring problems along the car, because I don't see any lack of performance from the engine, not even a bit.

·
Premium Member
6,563 Posts
Thanks for the good wishes and answer, I'll give it a shot at tracing wiring problems along the car, because I don't see any lack of performance from the engine, not even a bit.
I wrote this before our moderator posted and then got called away before I could hit the post reply icon, and the site here was down for maintenance when I got done typing.
With the further info of seeming good smooth running and no actual misfires in performance, yes it MIGHT be in need of a reflash of the ECM. An 08 and older now, it seems to me there may have been a TSB for this..when they were NEW.
Good Luck and keep us posted! :)

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
It's possible that there is a vacuum leak from the intake manifold around cylinder 1 which will throw the P0301 code. Just another possibility.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's possible that there is a vacuum leak from the intake manifold around cylinder 1 which will throw the P0301 code. Just another possibility.
Thanks for the reply, I will search for the vaccum leak in that area, maybe the gasket may be going bad, 6 months ago I replaced the valve cover gasket which was leaking a little bit of oil, it could be possible that the intake manifold gasket may started to break down.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Quick question. What brand parts did you put in? Spark plugs need to be what came with the car, Cam position and crank position need to be NTK/NGK brand as others sometime don't play nice with Mopar products. Have you tried swapping cylinder 1 spark plugs and coil with say spark plug 2 to see if the code shifts? Try running a can of Seafoam thru the gas tank.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the reply, 4 months ago I installed 4 Bosch iridium spark plugs, 2 Delphi and 2 Mopar ignition coils, 4 Siemens injectors. Swaping that line of attack was the first thing I did, from spark plugs to injectors and codes didn't follow. I put a Duralast crankshaft sensor which significantly helped with the start of the car. However no wires seem broken and no vaccum leaks are detected. And my main concern is that the engine shows no downfall performance wise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys, the Avenger is fixed at last, as the post says, THE REFLASH code, after going through almost every ignition piece and changing the crankshaft sensor, the ECU had to be REFLASHED, here they charged me the equivalent to 109 US dollars, let me know what you think about the cost, is it high or low, how much they charge in the US, the car is running normal again. If anyone knows a good affordable reflash kit please share a link or something. Thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Guys, the Avenger is fixed at last, as the post says, THE REFLASH code, after going through almost every ignition piece and changing the crankshaft sensor, the ECU had to be REFLASHED, here they charged me the equivalent to 109 US dollars, let me know what you think about the cost, is it high or low, how much they charge in the US, the car is running normal again. If anyone knows a good affordable reflash kit please share a link or something. Thanks for your responses.
Great news! Not sure what they charge here for that service.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts