Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have bought my 2014 avenger se 3.6l and been having issue with the 4th cylinder misfire or a bit now and can't really figure it out. So I've not most of my parts and check for the tune up and checks. Did the cylinder compression test and passed it with flying colors, fuel injectors are operating, cleaned the air intank manifold, replaced the coil packs, and still no change on the same 4th cylinder misfire. So now I'm thinking it could be an electrical issue. Does anyone have the same issue or worked on something like this? I was thinking it could be the ECU since the last owner apparently said it had a bad coil back for the 4th cylinder.

Much appreciated in advanced 馃檹.

Registered
What is the error code that you are getting. I'm assuming the plug is in good shape? It could be a wiring or ECU issue.

Registered
Could possibly be a vacuum leak at that specific cylinder at the intake.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could be but I've already check the seals cleaned the air cleaner and the air intanks upper and lower and the throttle body. I have a part on order to replace the air cleaner seal but other then that nothing I could really find for a vacuum leak.

Registered
2012 Dodge Avenger SE - 3.6L V6
I am having the exact same problem. P0304 misfire cylinder 4 code
-All 6 cylinders are 150 PSI compression tested
-Engine does not overheat
-Vacuum is good
-Changed spark plug
-Changed coil pack
-Changed injector

None of these changes fixed the problem.

The car runs rough and I get a rotten egg / sulphur smell when it runs.... I think this smell is un-burned gas going through the catalytic converter. Makes me think there is no spark to ignite that gas

How can I check if the coil pack is actually getting a signal to spark? (rule out back electrical harness)
How can I check if the plug is actually sparking?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would switch the 4th and 6th cylinder coil pack to see if the fault jumps. Then I think you can YouTube the spark plug when you can take it out plug it to the coil and then start it to spark.

I'm gonna replace my ECU to see if that will fix the signal issue for mine.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also last thing I can think of when I did the research is that last resort is the change the cam sensor and if that doesn't fix it then the camshaft bight be damaged due to the rollers and lifters.

Registered
Intake seals are a one time use item. When the intake is taken of, the seals must be replaced.

Registered
2012 Dodge Avenger SE - 3.6L V6
I did some research on line and it looks like there is a 12v DC pulse that gets sent to the coil pack. YouTube video shows people unplugging the connector going to the coil, putting wire stubs inside the connector and measuring using a multimeter for a 12v pulse when turning over the engine.

I believe if you see a 12v pulse then you can rule out ECM and wiring harness.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did some research on line and it looks like there is a 12v DC pulse that gets sent to the coil pack. YouTube video shows people unplugging the connector going to the coil, putting wire stubs inside the connector and measuring using a multimeter for a 12v pulse when turning over the engine.

I believe if youu see a 12v pulse then you can rule out ECM and wiring harness.
Is that for a 2.4 or 3.6?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts