Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
P0688 DODGE - Auto Shutdown Relay Control Circuit Low

P0685 DODGE - Auto Shutdown Relay Control Circuit Failure

Just had the computer replaced in the car. The dealer I got the car from said the ac issue I was having was due to it being bad. So it was replaced and Dodge programmed it. Well now 3 weeks later I'm getting these two codes plus a P0052. O2 sensor Bank 2 sensor 1 failure. I just replaced both bank two sensors and reset the computer but still get these codes. I'm thinking it's a faulty new computer but wanted some input from everyone first. I've checked all fuses all wiring all relays are tight and all grounds that I could see are snug and landed. Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Seems to be pointing to the new computer. Could also be an issue with the TIPM...maybe a loose connection?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update:. Wife just called me and said the CEL went away. Very weird. Either bad wire or intermittent computer failure or something funky. Let's see if it comes back.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so the codes came back and now I have a battery Drain. I took it to Dodge. They want to replace the engine wiring harness ($1440) because they say it's been cut into and spliced to many times and it's causing the TIPM to stay powered. Thoughts? Opinions?

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts
Yeah, You have listed a lot of troubles your ride is giving, how about backing up a little and giving us what history you know of this ride and any things like if it was in accident (not the latest door ding). or salvaged from flooding , you know BIG things.And how long have you had this ride?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did do a generic free Carfax check. The only thing it said was that it was in a accident on the Baltimore beltway back in 2010. But I'm pretty sure it was rear ended because of some imperfections to the trunk and rear bumper.
I've had the car for about a month now. Bought it from a fast talking used car salesman . It did come with a 3 month/ 6k mile warranty. And I've brought it back to him twice. But his mechanic on staff is kind of a dip stick so I'm not bringing it to him any more. Did I get hosed? Yea probably, but I'm stuck with the car now so I want to make it a good car.
Ok here's some history.
Valve cover cracked and AC stopped working. Brought it back to dealer he replace the valve cover and just started swapping parts out for the AC because they didn't know what the heck was wrong with it.(edit. Probably where all the spliced wires came from in the harness) He replaced the computer had Dodge program it. I got the car back and got a P0430, P0052 code. Little time goes by and I got the codes listed in title. So I replaced the O2 sensors in bank 2. On that same day I was going to tint my tail lights. So I removed the tail lights, changed my mind, then put them back. Ever sense then I've had this battery drain. The P0430 and 0052 are gone now but the others remain. Sorry for long comment but I wanted to get it all in. Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts
Thanks for some of us logical thinking people, that is as helpful as just codes!..LOL:)
Will do some "thinking" on this and what research I can do and reply later. But remember this is a COUPE owner willing to try to help (sometimes"old & slow").

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I appreciate it. Where Dodge said the TIPM is staying powered I think I'm just gonna start there checking for amp draw on each wire with engine off.
I just find it hard to believe a hacked up wire harness is keeping the TIPM powered. I would think something is telling it to stay on like a stuck relay or something. If that's even the problem.

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts
Well not completely sure this is the "fix", but you spoke of other relays being loose and "fussing" with them got you running again. Try replacing the ASD relay on the fuse panel. And I would also dismount the fuse panel/TIPM unit and check the wiring connections on the bottom of it. Other than that, the laborious individual wire checking is in order. Good luck and hoping this quirl gets remedied well with you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:
When I was having the AC issue a few weeks ago the dealer had ran a power wire straight from battery to AC compressor keeping it powerd all the time. Disconnected the wire, left it over night. Woke up this morning and car started right up!! No more battery drain, codes went away and the AC still works. Glad I didn't tell Dodge to go ahead with the Harness replacement. Thanks for the help @5rebel9 your always willing to give help and I really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts
Well that would definitely be a fault area...did not know of that being done. Back feed thru the connector harness of raw battery power is NOT a good thing. Glad you found that and did as posted!

·
Registered
19 Posts
How old is the Avenger? When I think of a hacked up harness, I think of any car pre 2000s that multiple people probably have touched over the course of its life, modifying it over and over until it's almost unrecognizable as a wiring harness... Haha

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's a 2008. And I still have an issue and it's weird!! I unhooked the wire that was powering the ac all the time. Great no more battery drain, ac ran fine and codes went away. Car was started probably 5-6 times.. well I went to start it to leave and it just kept turning over but wouldn't start. (Scratch head). Hooked up the wire feeding ac compressor that I had taken off and the car starts up!! And that wire comes straight off of the positive lug under the hood and goes straight to the compressor. Nothing in between. Im really stumped now

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's a 2008. And I still have an issue and it's weird!! I unhooked the wire that was powering the ac all the time. Great no more battery drain, ac ran fine and codes went away. Car was started probably 5-6 times.. well I went to start it to leave and it just kept turning over but wouldn't start. (Scratch head). Hooked up the wire feeding ac compressor that I had taken off and the car starts up!! And that wire comes straight off of the positive lug under the hood and goes straight to the compressor. Nothing in between. Im really stumped now
If you disconnect the AC compressor, and turn the car over, does the AC compressor pulley move? On some cars, like Subaru Foresters for instance, if the AC compressor goes bad and siezes up, or has no power, it will actually stop the entire accessory system from moving. New cars are weird like that.

I haven't been in the engine compartment on these cars long enough to know for sure what could be wrong with it, I'm more of a small block chevy guy with engines. But its hopefully helpful to throw around theories when I can.

Do you have a manual by chance with wiring diagrams on it? I would take the time sometime and look at the engine wiring diagram, and find every wire, to every ground and sensor. You'll eventually find things that might not be "right".

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will check to see if the pulley is moving with car running. And there is a wire diagram on this for forum but it doesn't list the ac compressor. I think it's more of a cabin wiring diagram.. thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts
Time to quit backfeeding with that wire ,or put a switch in it to cut power when not in use. But beginning to sound like a TIPM/fuse panel issue from all the other things you have posted. and the 08's did have issues with the TIPM/fuse panel.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea I had thought about putting a toggle switch in to just kill power to the switch when not in use. I'm thinking I have a intermittent issue with an ASD relay and when it does malfunction that wire is causing a back feed keeping the ASD powered. I just need to save the $1440 for Dodge to get in and replace the wiring harness. I'll tell them to replace ASD relays also.

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts
You do realize that the relay location you "liked" the other day was for the Coupe model and NOT the Sedans. Whole different setup. As for that harness..Sight unseen, I will not comment.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes I know it was for the coupe, but it gave some pretty good basic trouble shooting advise for the ASD.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts