Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm sure the code is common and there's probably a thread, but I wanted to point out what I've come across. my daughters are driving this car to school now and called and told me lights had come on and they lost power. Got the car home with no problem other than check engine light and pulled the code. Adds up. now I'm spraying looking for leaks. Only thing I find is when I spray here the car begins to bog down. Any ideas? I've heard leaking plenum or intake gasket but shouldn't the engine rev up? And please forgive thhe photo. my phone doesn't seem capable anymore of right side up
20161201_180120.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,570 Posts
Well looks like you found a probable leak area, BUT the likely reason it "bogged down" is that you are using electrical contact cleaner and not carb cleaner or starting ether. Electrical contact cleaner does not support combustion(act as a fuel).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I thought about the type of cleaner I was using later. the lication of the leak is odd though. maybe I just can't see where the manifold meets there.

·
Premium Member
6,570 Posts
By your picture I can not tell exactly, but there is a manifold airflow control rod that opens and closes a butterfly valve in each intake runner. The leak may be at where that rod enters/exits the runner where you sprayed or the manifold gasket to head itself. Unfortunately for you intake leak fixes are a moderately involving effort repair process. Good luck to you in getting things back to proper order!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sounds a little more in depth parts wise. I was hoping to just change a gasket. Guess I won't know until I tear it down.

·
Premium Member
6,570 Posts
Keep us informed of what you find! I have not seen a large amount of posts as to your situation, so I don't think it is something wide ranging for all with your size motor.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Decided to tear it down. I couldn't see anything other than a flat gasket possibly? Put a new gasket and inspected the intake and can't see a thing. It is possible there is a hair line crack that I couldn't see. The car gave me the same issue yesterday morning so I pulled over and turned it off. waited a few seconds and restarted. Ran fine again except the engine light stayed on. made another stop and when I restarted the car, light went away. made a couple more trips in town and no issue, so it's very intermittent. I did however find a very good youtube video on the tear down. Can't figure how to post it here, but it's under motorcitymechanic.com
I'll drive it around a little more today and see.what comes of it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,570 Posts
From the looks of your pics, The gasket was leaking , but did you straight edge the manifold to make sure it was not warped? Glad you were able to handle the repair process all the same. The engine light may have come on due to radical different readings effected by the repair, you could try doing the "key dance" to check for any codes that are stored in the computer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, I didn't think to straight edge the manifold. The engine light came on before the repairs. I drove the car about 20 minutes and no sign of it yet. The problem was intermittent, so I'll watch it a while.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello guys, looks like I am having this same issue, I've changed the throttle body, air temp sensor and having the same problem... My check engine light stays on and I drive it for a few miles and the lightning bolt warning light comes on, I turn the car off and back on while still driving and it goes away and I can continue to drive it with the check engine light on... Someone told me it was the throttle position sensor and told me to change the throttle body.... I am lost right now and out of about $450.00 buck right now. Please help

·
Premium Member
6,570 Posts
Welcome to the forum! First thing any of us needs is which size motor and what code(s) are stored in the computer. Then how about a close reveal of the mileage and any other maint./repairs have been done relating to the motor. Many members will happily come to help once they get a little more background info.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chadwickceo have you had any codes pulled? The code It will give a good starting point and maybe fend off a few mechanics with less than stellar morals. The symptoms you have sound identical to mine and the code I pulled was for a major air leak. Could be a hose, a bad gasket (I'm still holding out hope for that one) , a map sensor or more. After I got my code, I started looking for the easy, a bad hose , and went from there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, Chris.... P2173 is the code I'm getting. Check engine light is still on even after I changed out the throttle body, I bought the car new with 9 miles on it in 2013, I have 111,000 miles on the car 2.4 SE Dodge Avenger... back in June the alternator went out, I replaced it and up until now I haven't had any issues with it. I can drive the car just fine but when that lightning bolt warning light comes up, it starts acting like like it doesn't want to go and I can no longer drive more than 15-20 miles per hour, but if I throw the car into Neutral, turn the key off and then back on the lightning bolt warning light goes off, check engine light stays on and I can continue driving again. . . A guy told me it was the throttle position sensor which he said it was built into the throttle body which is why I replaced it, but $400 dollars later it's still doing it.

·
Premium Member
6,570 Posts
Yes you have an intake manifold leak of unmetered air, do as suggested and start looking at any hoses that hook up to the manifold. then try a spray test of carb cleaner(small sprays) at manifold to cylinder head while idling, if it picks up rpm's at a spot , you have found the leak and then take necessary repairs.

Edit: The car is going into a "limp in" mode is why you can not get any higher speeds.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The symptoms you describe are identical to mine. I did what 5rebel9 suggested. and found an air leak. The only cleaner I had was electrical which gave the opposite effect and bogged the motor down, but it showed an issue. I haven't had any issues over the weekend and the intake gasket was only $5. Hopefully that's all you may need too. I'm not sure of your skill level, but the youtube video I found was great for replacing the gasket. It was step by step and didn't miss a beat.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just thought I'd update this. It's been 9 days now and I've no problems. Looks like the intake gasket was the problem. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts