Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen 1/4 mile, skid pad, top speed numbers for the R/T or any other one for that matter?

I'm certain it will walk an SXT Charger among several other cars but I'm curious what the 3.5 is running in the Avenger.

Thanks.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I can't wait to find this out, I'm looking forward to an SXT charger to pull up beside me on the road. But I don't want to be fooled into thinking I can take it just because it weights more.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I can't wait to find this out, I'm looking forward to an SXT charger to pull up beside me on the road. But I don't want to be fooled into thinking I can take it just because it weights more.
If the opportunity does come up, post the results in the Kill Thread if you leave him seeing your taillights. If by some chance the Charger wins let the members know that also so we do not read about it on the ChargerforumZ to often where a SXT beat a R/T. But most important be careful and safe.

·
Registered
565 Posts
In my research before buying my avenger I read the following:

avenger R/T 0-60 in ~ 7 sec
charger SXT 3.5L 0-60 ~ 9 sec
charger R/T with 5.7L hemi 0-60 ~6 sec
charter SRT 8 with 6.1L hemi 0-6 ~5 sec

These are just various posts or reviews that I read and are based on stock engines for the most part. I take no responsibility in it being correct :) These numbers seemed to be the the "average" most people reported. Of course it's from the internet so take it with a grain of salt.

I've read reports of charger SXT running mid to low 8s
I've read reports of charger R/T running low 5's
I've read reports of Charger SRT-8 running low 4's (and one case upper 3's)

A coworker recently bought grand cherokee SRT-8 and say it does 0-60 in around 4 sec.

- Dan M

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
With the hemi v8 engines, there are so many little tweaks you can do that really affect performance. I wouldn't at all be surprised to hear of a hemi v8 engined car totally beating what it is "spec'ed" at. The SXT's in magnums or chargers as well as our SXT's and RT's are much more limited as to what can be done to them to increase performance.

It much more likely in my opinion to see a difference in performance based on driving style (hal - not sure if our cars work exactly the same as my old magnum did) and based on break in or simply how lucky you were when they assembled your engine...if it was done correctly or you got better tolorence parts for some reason.

Hopefully we will see much more performance type stuff brought to market for this one. But for my 3.5l magnum, there really was jack you could do, and that pretty much was the same for any 3.5l charger as well. Sure you could get a K&N air filter...eventually after months and months and months we finally got a decent CAI (not a k&n either, btw), and there were a couple of options for exhuasts. That was about it, and nothing was really all that killer in the performance area. Maybe the CAI. It really was more cost prohibitive than anything.

At the end of the day, for a 3.5l charger or magnum, the best mod I ever saw was the radiator cap mod. If you don't know what that is...let me know and I'll explain.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I hope the Avenger RT can be a SXT Charger....Chargers suck anyway:strokin:

A lot can be done to the 3.5 charger now. Not only CAI and cat backs but you can also get shortie headers and a tuner will be available soon. Not to mention SQUEEZE!!!! Thats always an option. I really look forward to reading about you Avengers smoking some crappy Chargers!!!! Good luck and be safe!:D

·
Registered
240 Posts
I’m fairly new to all of this so I plan to learn a lot from here. Not just how and what to get, but why/little more insight… cause and effect… etc…

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
I had a highway race with an SXT Charger. The guy that owns the Charger thinks he's really something. He drive's around town looking like hes hot sh*t. Well to make a long story short. He's not feeling to good about his Charger. These R/T AWD Avenger's move quick, and the trick to getting the most out of them is using the manual shifting mode and turning the ESP to part time mode. The advantage of the AWD is that up untill 65mph most of the TQ is going to the back wheels. In 1st gear shift at 4000rpm and in 2nd shift at 4000rpm and in 3rd shift at 4500rpm and in 4th shift at 4500rpm and at 5th shift at 5000rpm. You will be at 90mph very quickly. When shifting from gear to gear you do not need to let off on the gas, remember these are Autostick. These 3.5L motors are very strong and well built, all Chrysler needs to do is get the software upgrade for the six speed trany's out, to take care of the hard 2nd to 1st down shift problems that some R/T owners are having. Chrysler states it will be out soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Were you listing your shift points there? That seems kinda low since peak HP and Torque are right around 4-4500 so surely you want to overrev a little to keep it as close to the peak as possible. I realize it has some pretty damn close gear ratios in 1-3 but still.....I have not seen a dyno trace but I'm sure there is plenty of overrev there.
+1......nice kill on the SXT too.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Congrats on your Kill... I'm loving this... I hit the road today and plan to take advantage of the open roads down in NC. Thanks for the shift points and the great story.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had a highway race with an SXT Charger. The guy that owns the Charger thinks he's really something. He drive's around town looking like hes hot sh*t. Well to make a long story short. He's not feeling to good about his Charger. These R/T AWD Avenger's move quick, and the trick to getting the most out of them is using the manual shifting mode and turning the ESP to part time mode. The advantage of the AWD is that up untill 65mph most of the TQ is going to the back wheels. In 1st gear shift at 4000rpm and in 2nd shift at 4000rpm and in 3rd shift at 4500rpm and in 4th shift at 4500rpm and at 5th shift at 5000rpm. You will be at 90mph very quickly. When shifting from gear to gear you do not need to let off on the gas, remember these are Autostick. These 3.5L motors are very strong and well built, all Chrysler needs to do is get the software upgrade for the six speed trany's out, to take care of the hard 2nd to 1st down shift problems that some R/T owners are having. Chrysler states it will be out soon.
Great story....great kill!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!:D

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Were you listing your shift points there? That seems kinda low since peak HP and Torque are right around 4-4500 so surely you want to overrev a little to keep it as close to the peak as possible. I realize it has some pretty damn close gear ratios in 1-3 but still.....I have not seen a dyno trace but I'm sure there is plenty of overrev there.
+1......nice kill on the SXT too.

I'm not going to over rev. yet. I will wait untill the software upgrade that will take care of the hard down shift problem some R/T's are having is programed in. I am having a hard 2nd to 1st down shift and a 3rd to 4th upshift problem. Chrysler states that they know of the problem and they are working on the upgrade. As of now if I take it a little easy.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
I have the Jet chip Stage2 and a custom pipe set up with a Flowmaster 40 series muffler. I will also be fabing a CAI during the winter. I'm really dieing to install the stuff I have, but the dealership has asked me to hold off installing them untill the software upgrade has been programed into my computer. So, I'm going to hold off untill spring time to install the performance mods, with or without the upgrade. Then I will get the car to ESTA Drage Strip, to seee how it will do.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey guys, new here. Just recently got my Dodge Avenger R/T (FWD) and was wondering if theres really a difference in performance? Are there any statistics comparing the two (FWD vs AWD)?

·
Registered
565 Posts
I hope the Avenger RT can be a SXT Charger....Chargers suck anyway:strokin:

A lot can be done to the 3.5 charger now. Not only CAI and cat backs but you can also get shortie headers and a tuner will be available soon. Not to mention SQUEEZE!!!! Thats always an option. I really look forward to reading about you Avengers smoking some crappy Chargers!!!! Good luck and be safe!:D
what company is making the tuner?

- Dan M

1 - 20 of 32 Posts