Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone 馃檪 馃憢馃徑!
New to forum, wish I would鈥檝e joined long ago!

Was wondering if someone might be able to let me know what could be the problem?

Story is.. serpentine belt snapped on freeway, leaked liquids , towed home, changed serpentine belt and bottom bearing -also notice leak near power steering pump.
Turned on car, made noise, left in park but turned the wheel and then louder noise -turned car off immediately- then seen the fluid oozing out like a volcano 馃寢/lava.

Any ideas?

Registered
Sounds like your power steering pump might need replacing. Did you recently fill or over fill the power steering reservoir? Did you notice if the pulley turned freely when the belt was off?

Premium Member
Can you explain more fully on what steps you took in refilling P/S and then starting? IF you filled it full and then started the engine, AIR in the system purges out as the steering is SLOWLY turned and can cause a too full reservoir to do as you describe. The res should only be PARTIALLY filled and cap left OFF then start the engine and slowly add fluid as level drops.
Other than trying this, and it still not working correctly, it may have harmed the pump when the belt had broken, as member Intrepid suggested.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like your power steering pump might need replacing. Did you recently fill or over fill the power steering reservoir? Did you notice if the pulley turned freely when the belt was off?
I think I鈥檓 going to start with changing that part out first. I haven鈥檛 touched the power steering at all neither before or after. As far as the pully, it was still real tight but the bearing I switched out was cracked and found that the belt had also wrapped around underneath so I double checked all the others.

Premium Member
Belt was real tight getting on? I've heard that some folks found they had installed the belt improperly on the convoluted routing of the 2.4 motor. IT IS possible to have the belt on and making the P/S pump spin the wrong direction and could cause your fluid res. problem!

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I think I鈥檓 going to start with changing that part out first. I haven鈥檛 touched
Can you explain more fully on what steps you took in refilling P/S and then starting? IF you filled it full and then started the engine, AIR in the system purges out as the steering is SLOWLY turned and can cause a too full reservoir to do as you describe. The res should only be PARTIALLY filled and cap left OFF then start the engine and slowly add fluid as level drops.
Other than trying this, and it still not working correctly, it may have harmed the pump when the belt had broken, as member Intrepid suggested.
yeah so I I hadn鈥檛 touched the P/S at all but as it was oozing out it was was bubbling so I鈥檓 sure air was escaping as you stated. Didn鈥檛 know to fill it while car is on but I鈥檒l definitely try it IF it鈥檚 low but I didn鈥檛 even check that either before I turned the car on.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Belt was real tight getting on? I've heard that some folks found they had installed the belt improperly on the convoluted routing of the 2.4 motor. IT IS possible to have the belt on and making the P/S pump spin the wrong direction and could cause your fluid res. problem!
Oh damn didn鈥檛 know that I couldn鈥檛 find a diagram in the book but I found one online, thee only one I could find.

Premium Member
I was under the impression that you did top up fluids(inc. P/S) from your first posting. My posting was meant when refilling when system had been opened up for repair.

The posting of belt routing is critical...not sure if it hurt the pump if indeed yours is "run" wrong.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I was under the impression that you did top up fluids(inc. P/S) from your first posting. My posting was meant when refilling when system had been opened up for repair.

The posting of belt routing is critical...not sure if it hurt the pump if indeed yours is "run" wrong.
I was only able to find one picture of the serpentine belt, have one able to upload??

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
@Intrepid @5rebel9 Great news fellas! I was able to flush the PS system, add the new PS Pump -bleed out the air, strap the serpentine belt, and Voil谩.

However, when accelerate I now hear a whistling noise, but sounds very minor? 馃う馃徏鈥嶁檪锔

Premium Member
What brand (or where ) did you get the replacement idler pulley? Have been some reports that certain brands do NOT align properly and cause belt misalignment. A bit of a pain, but straight edge check starting there and then go on checking pulleys til you find the culprit. At least the routing was good for a day...no more LAVA eruptions....

Registered
I had main drive pulley shift from the hub and caused a misalignment and squealing noise before. Had to look right at the drive pulley to see it. Also the tensioner and idler pullies need to be checked for any wiggle. There should be no side to side play.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
What brand (or where ) did you get the replacement idler pulley? Have been some reports that certain brands do NOT align properly and cause belt misalignment. A bit of a pain, but straight edge check starting there and then go on checking pulleys til you find the culprit. At least the routing was good for a day...no more LAVA eruptions....
Yes sir! You were right on the money 馃憣馃徏 I found the tensioner had also been warped after I pulled it out but you couldn鈥檛 even tell just by looking at it

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
I had main drive pulley shift from the hub and caused a misalignment and squealing noise before. Had to look right at the drive pulley to see it. Also the tensioner and idler pullies need to be checked for any wiggle. There should be no side to side play.
So I found there was no wiggling but there was a part that was warped, thanks bud!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts