Dodge Avenger Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

Registered
Have a real good look at the crank drive pully. Mine was hard to tell at first until I really got into it closely. Take a good straight edge and run from pully flat surface to flat surface. One is not aligned.

Premium Member
There is also a good chance that the crankshaft main pulley is bad, I've heard of the vulcanized rubber between the "hub" and the belt drive portion unbonding, allowing the belt portion of the crank pulley to shift and misalign the belt.

Registered
There is also a good chance that the crankshaft main pulley is bad, I've heard of the vulcanized rubber between the "hub" and the belt drive portion unbonding, allowing the belt portion of the crank pulley to shift and misalign the belt.
That's what I have been saying. It happened on my 3.6. I can't remember whether I had posted pics in a thread or not. You have to get under a safely lifted car right at the pulley to see.

Premium Member
YUP, I understood what you were getting at there @namrestud. I was trying to reinforce and explain why and what to look for. From what I've read about the mod of going with the "lightweight" pulley on the 2.4...replacing the crank pulley is NOT a hard job to do IF found to be going bad. ;)

21 - 26 of 26 Posts