Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Today I replaced the valve cover gaskets on my 2007 Dodge Avenger SXT (2.7L v6 DOHC engine) which also involved removing the intake manifold to access the rear cover. Everything went relatively smoothly with no major issues.
I have everything reassembled and I checked about 10 times to ensure all bolts are tight, cables and hoses connected, t's crossed and i's dotted. When I first started the car after doing the work, it fired right up but ran poorly with the engine light on. I shut the car off and started it again. The car will turn over after cranking for about 5 seconds, the check engine light remains on and when I test drove it the car seems to be in limp mode (won't exceed 2500 rpm). The weird bit of it is the engine seems to be running perfectly smoothly, normal idle rpm, no noises, nice and smooth. Nothing out of the ordinary. I do not currently have a code reader in my possession, although I might be able to mooch one off a friend. Does anyone know what a probable cause of this could be? Has anybody encountered this problem before? As you can imagine this is quite the letdown after a day spent under the hood so hopefully it's a simple "duh" fix.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Always check and double all connections that were removed when dismantling. You'll probably discover a loose or forgotten connection.

·
Premium Member
6,466 Posts
Doing the "KEY DANCE" will give a good majority of P codes. Ig. key from off to run(not crank) 3 times, on 3rd time leave in the run position. Codes will appear in the odometers place and then will show the word "dONE" when finished. Codes appear one at a time, so write them down as they come up.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
When you had the intake off, did you install new seals? They are supposed to be a one time use item. You probably have a vaccum leak.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts