Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I bought a 2008 Dodge Avenger last year and I keep hearing how some people have the PZEV and some don't. My question is how do you know if you do or not? Thanks in advance for your answers :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Reactions: dodj and Warrior

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
106 Posts
I also was wondering the same thing? Looks like mine is a K so no PZEV right!
I would double check and see if you have that pump connected to the intake tubing. The 8th letter of my vin is actually a B and i do have the PZEV engine I thought mine was just special lol.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I would double check and see if you have that pump connected to the intake tubing. The 8th letter of my vin is actually a B and i do have the PZEV engine I thought mine was just special lol.
Mine is a B, and I'm pretty sure mine is not PZEV. Too dark now to go out and look, so I'll check in the morning if mine has the pump connected to the tubing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
mine is B but there is a sticker that says its qualifies as a PSEV
my dodge is a used 2012 avenger sx
1C3CDZCBXCN167870 just checking if the original user happens to be here

·
Registered
24 Posts
FIREBOY153, I have a 2012 PZEV. Could you clarify what about it sounds like crap on a cold start? On EXTREME cold mornings (-15F) my power steering makes noise for 10-15 seconds, but according to the manual its normal, and its done that for the last 70k miles with no ill effect. Is that what you're referring to?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sorry for the delay, to clarify, it sounds as if there is a major exhaust leak. This is rumored to be the Air Pump, or whatever the proper name it. It runs fine and all, just on a fresh start its very loud. Worse if it is colder. Cannot find a remedy yet, and am unsure what to replace. Mopar Techs and a skiled mechanic friend all say its just how they all are. Anyone hear that before?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thank you! Yes I've heard that sound. On a fresh cold start I hear it for about 10 seconds, it does sound like an exhaust leak, as the sound dissipates, there is a lowering it pitch.

It's something I've always noticed but never paid any mind to. I bought it at 32k and have 102k now. I'm guessing it's operating normally as it's not throwing a code and the character of the noise has been constant for at least 70k

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sorry for the LONG delay in continuing this. The car still makes a terrible loud Exhaust leak sound when starting. it takes a good 20-30 sec. to go away. I now have 155k on it and its been doing this the same since 100k. from about 50k to 100 it went from faint to just loud. Sounds like the pipe is off or something. Now it does toss a light every so often.

My thought after consulting others, professionals and actually looking, is that it may be a crack in the manifold. Now I look into it and for a PZEV its dealer only and very pricey. I can get a standard one online for a fraction the price. Is it safe to disconnect, or bypass the emission parts? Who knows...

with the high miles, and the state it is on i am prolly not going to do anything but run it till its done. Sad i know, but its seen better days for sure. Thank you for all the input, I sure would like to fix it at some point....

·
Premium Member
6,749 Posts
Only way to know for sure would be to remove the manifold and be able to see ALL of it. Had an exhaust manifold crack into two pieces on an old Kia i had. Found a fella that could weld the cast iron and it held for more than 4 years, till the body of the car rotted away! Could also be a bad ex. manifold gasket, but by now has probably done other damage , unseen until manifold removal.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My thought were the same, just figured I would ask 1st, maybe another common issue, every car has specific pros and cons it seems. Thank you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
my wifes 08 (pzev) just started throwing codes. she had an exhaust leak start at about 90,000. started small and now at 104,000 it's real loud at cold startup and then mellows out as it warms up. i think its been making her sick so this morning i hooked up my shop vac to the exhaust an found numerous small leaks and 1 LARGE (3 inches or more)crack right between the 2 inner pipes. gonna have to remove it and see if i can weld it once i get some cast iron rod, cuz i sure can't afford to buy one from the dealer and also the dodge dealer in my town closed down so now its a 130 mile drive to the closet one. maybe i'll be lucky and a junkyard will have one if i cant repair it

·
Premium Member
6,749 Posts
Yes, probably O2 sensor codes as oxygen is being introduced that is giving false readings and messing with ECM control settings for the motor. You are on the correct path to take care of the situation...Good Luck, and keep us informed!

·
Registered
60 Posts
my wifes 08 (pzev) just started throwing codes. she had an exhaust leak start at about 90,000. started small and now at 104,000 it's real loud at cold startup and then mellows out as it warms up. i think its been making her sick so this morning i hooked up my shop vac to the exhaust an found numerous small leaks and 1 LARGE (3 inches or more)crack right between the 2 inner pipes. gonna have to remove it and see if i can weld it once i get some cast iron rod, cuz i sure can't afford to buy one from the dealer and also the dodge dealer in my town closed down so now its a 130 mile drive to the closet one. maybe i'll be lucky and a junkyard will have one if i cant repair it
its stainless i think, not cast. Just got a replacement for "tree fiddy" ($350) and it solved all issues. A common thing on these it seems.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Also, its a dealer item, but you can find it on ebay as some dealers utilize it for sales. Call your dealer with the VIN to get PN, then search away. Only issues was the small gasket on the air tube, were the egr looking valve attaches. Since we save all the extras from gasket jobs, i had one. Remember to the the main gasket, the 4 bolt one too!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts