Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you running 87 or 89 octane fuel?

manual recommends 89 for "optimal performance" yet says high quality 87 will work.

- Dan M

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
When I first bought my R/T I was using 87. When I changed to 89, I noticed a little better performance, with no MPG change.

·
Registered
590 Posts
89 here, unless I get the oddball station that only has regular 87 or premium, in which I get 87.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I've been running 87 octane consistantly with no ill effects. As long as theres no knocking in the engine, running a higher octane doesn't do anything, other than cost you more money.

Even if you increase gas mileage by using higher octane, I think the increase would/will be minimal. I'm not even sure I trust that the gas stations are really giving me 89 octane anyways, since every once in awhile they have a "sale" where 87 and 89 octane cost the exact same.

At any rate octane rating is the amount of fuel that can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. 87 octane can handle the least amount, 91 (or higher) would be the most amount. If the gas ignites from compression rather than the spark plug igniting it you get knocking, which is can be bad for your engine.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
I've been running 87 octane consistantly with no ill effects. As long as theres no knocking in the engine, running a higher octane doesn't do anything, other than cost you more money.

Even if you increase gas mileage by using higher octane, I think the increase would/will be minimal. I'm not even sure I trust that the gas stations are really giving me 89 octane anyways, since every once in awhile they have a "sale" where 87 and 89 octane cost the exact same.

At any rate octane rating is the amount of fuel that can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. 87 octane can handle the least amount, 91 (or higher) would be the most amount. If the gas ignites from compression rather than the spark plug igniting it you get knocking, which is can be bad for your engine.
Very good info., and so true about knocking being bad for your engine. But,.....well...umm...I'll just shut my big mouth.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Very good info., and so true about knocking being bad for your engine. But,.....well...umm...I'll just shut my big mouth.

Lol, what? I hope you didn't take any offense to my post...I always look forward to hearing different points of view. Its just that this one is constantly being beat to death in another forum that I am a member of, for motorcycles. Seems to come up every few days.

I guess we haven't beat it to death here yet, so lets hear your pov, so we can learn...:)

·
Registered
412 Posts
hey guys all great information. But check your manuels for the Octane they recomend. Some of the books I have looked in lately actually tell you not to run anything above 89 Octane or it could damage the engine. I don't know how true this is but hey. I don't want to chance blowing my engine!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Its just that this one is constantly being beat to death in another forum that I am a member of, for motorcycles
:DSure enough it does. Once a week on the bike forums I'm on. My Firebird had such a HUGE CC head on it before I milled it down and the stock pistons so deep in the holes I'm pretty sure it would run on water. LOL.

What bike are you sporting?

To answer the question.........87.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
:DSure enough it does. Once a week on the bike forums I'm on. My Firebird had such a HUGE CC head on it before I milled it down and the stock pistons so deep in the holes I'm pretty sure it would run on water. LOL.

What bike are you sporting?

To answer the question.........87.

'05 ZX-6R....don't get to ride enough...I think I have 4400 miles in the 2 years i've owned it!

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Lol, what? I hope you didn't take any offense to my post...I always look forward to hearing different points of view. Its just that this one is constantly being beat to death in another forum that I am a member of, for motorcycles. Seems to come up every few days.

I guess we haven't beat it to death here yet, so lets hear your pov, so we can learn...:)
No, I have no problem with your post. At my age I do not let things bother me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
my manual sez 87-89, buddy also has an 06 charger & his sez the same....maybe canada has something different, dunno.

hey guys all great information. But check your manuels for the Octane they recomend. Some of the books I have looked in lately actually tell you not to run anything above 89 Octane or it could damage the engine. I don't know how true this is but hey. I don't want to chance blowing my engine!!!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
To go along with the gas mileage thread, I've fueled up with 89 octane this past tank. So far, my gas mileage seems to be suffering for it. But it has been alot colder lately which means more warm up and tire spinning in slick weather and lower average tire pressure, so that may have something to do with it. That and if it takes a while for the computer to adjust to a different octane gas (which i don't think it matters, but who knows?) . So I am going to run at least 1 more tank of 89 after this one and see what happens, and if the cold weather holds I'll switch back to 87 and go from there.

Its all very interesting to me :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
if anyone's curious, i just checked & it sez 12.8 mpg, and this is no typo. but, in the car's defense, along with the reasons already noted above, i warm it up a good ten minutes before going anywhere, pretty well always start off with the seat/coffee warmers on (definitely in the mornings), i haven't reset it since i bought it (9200 km ago) and i'm a smoker so keep the sunroof at least 1/3 the way open all the time so the heater's going constantly. there's lots drawing off the car, so actually i'm not too surprised, not to mention the stereo is always cranked (i really like having more watts than HP though). i haven't plugged it in yet either, even when it hit -28C in the mornings for a bit. still happy with it tho.

oh ya, i use 89 if they have it, 87 if they don't.

·
Registered
62 Posts
using 93 octane burns hotter and if the engine is not built to handle the extra heat you could damage alot. as said earlier in this thread, check the Manuel and it will outline the highest octane you can run safely, which I believe is 89. I may be wrong though. I have been filling with 89 since I bought my avenger so not sure if there is much of a difference with lower octane. I just know that 89 burns a bit cleaner... good enough for me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
In one of Dodge's news conferences they announced that all models of the avengers would be built to handle low octane fuel with no ill side effects. it used to be that low octane fuel would cause build up in the cylinders and would eventually need to be cleaned out with an additive. But newer model cars have worked around this and now do not suffer from the build up (or so they say) but none the less, dodge says no harm running lower octane fuel.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts