Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to let my fellow 2.4l Avenger owners know what happened with mine for the records!

So, I had a leak for a while on my radiator upper hose where the hose connects to the radiator cap on the radiator side. It would drain the reservoir over the course of a week or so, but the engine temps were not affected. I let it run like that for about a month. (I had to replace my alternator, belt, head gasket, and water pump gasket, and crank case seal first).

I figured it was time to replace it yesterday, so I went and got a new one from Auto Zone. When I went outside to replace it this morning, I wondered what the exact cause of the leak was. I tugged with about 10 pounds of force upward on the hose at the radiator cap, and it broke completely off!! It was awesome. I replaced it all in about 15 mins since it's an easy replacement.

I wanted to bring this up to anyone that has the 2.4l since this could be a sneaky time bomb waiting to happen to you. I would recommend checking the hoses for any brittleness, discoloring, or just generally shoddy looking.

Here is the link - My Upper Radiator Hose Replacement

My vehicle is the 2.4l. I have 175k miles on the vehicle. Daily highway driven.

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts
YUP, you had the common for 2.4's problem. Thanks for sharing with your experience, more "proof" for others trying to figure out that kind of leak. There is a Dorman cap housing that fits and works,rather than replacing the complete hose unit. BUT with high mileage, in my book would be best to replace the complete unit...like the PLASTIC housing...RUBBER hoses don't last forever either!;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I agree!
I replaced the entire unit with a new one that has rubber rings around the part that broke, for reinforcement! I feel that this new upper radiator hose will outlast the vehicle now. Feels good to know it won't be exploding all over the highway now. :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have an 09 2.4L SXT. I did the same thing you did and had the exact same result. But, the kicker for me? It happened at 4:45 a.m.! I was bleeding off some air and filling the system....SNAP! I ended up taking my wife's car to work. Pick up the filler neck on the way home and replaced it. Why didn't they use plastic in the first place???

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our cars were built during the recession years, so they cheaped out as much as possible, and it shows.

Glad you were able to fix yours easily!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My filler neck 'exploded' right after a drive. Pulled into a parking space to wait for a friend and... *POP* followed by the sound of rushing water. I got out and there was a nice red puddle on the ground. I had thought my transmission dropped.

Ended up waiting until the morning to track down a replacement, could only find the entire upper hose set.

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts
My filler neck 'exploded' right after a drive. Pulled into a parking space to wait for a friend and... *POP* followed by the sound of rushing water. I got out and there was a nice red puddle on the ground. I had thought my transmission dropped.

Ended up waiting until the morning to track down a replacement, could only find the entire upper hose set.
That's because the Dorman replacement neck is not listed for use on the 2.4 engine Avengers. It is listed for the older Dakota's, but will work with the Avenger with a couple hose clamps for the hose connections once separated from the original cap housing.;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts