Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  1. 08 R/T AWD. Bought for my daughter, she didn't care for it, so daddy got a new toy. Been great until this weekend. Overheated had a light top end rattle, let cool, was limping home when she shut off, had towed on in. Going to pull the pan this weekend. No water in the oil or noticable metal in the oil. Starter is toast Anyone had this? Any guidance would be appreciated. I

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Was the coolant level ok? Were the cooling fans kicking in? Any CEL codes? You said the starter is toast. When did this happen? Is that the 2.4 or 3.5?

·
Premium Member
6,466 Posts
RT AWD....Would have to be the 3.5 motor.
More directly is to question the "toast" statement of the starter itself or the ENGINE is siezed and the starter can not spin it over.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3.5 with 142000.
Coolant level wasn't low but acted as if vapor locked. When she shut down, starter tried once to crank over then was done. I can spin via crank pulley. I have another starter, should I try it or wait til I pull the pan? Any advice or input is much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
I would try the starter first since you have one and is less work than pulling the pan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Motor is shot. Going to see if I can get away with a crank kit for now. Will the 3.5 from the rwd cars bolt up? If so, I may fully build one of those. There are plenty around me. Haven't been able to find a 4.0 near me to toy with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts