Dodge Avenger Forum banner

Rattling from down under

3K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  brannigan03 
#1 ·
So I've been having to deal with this random rattling noise coming from under my car for a while now. I know what it is, but I'm not sure what it's called or if the part is even necessary. But on the back end of the front drive shaft is a rubber thing... it's loose and that's what's causing the rattling. Well it was loose, I just found a piece of it in my driveway which explains why there was no rattling today. So anyway, what the heck is it and do I need it? Not really sure what I'm doing, I get the help of my dad for most of my car issues but he's just as stumped as I am. Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Welcome to the forumz! First thing is to go back and fill in details of your Avenger On your profile page(year, motor size), so we know which options it may have. And then do not be surprised, but I am reporting that this thread be moved to the mechanical problems and questions page, this page here is for forum use suggestions or help of the site itself. So you should see this on that other page soon. And is this an AWD model?

#6 · (Edited)
That looks like a what most call a harmonic balancer ring if it came off from the axle or drive shaft. Hard to tell actual size of that part from the picture. It looks like it COULD also be an exhaust hanger if it is only about 3' in diameter.
So you have the top model for the year Avenger, your avatar pic. looks sharp! Make sure you also go to the Newbie Check In page and introduce yourself to the whole Forum Family!

EDIT: If you took the car and that part to a reputable auto repair shop and showed them and let them look it over, I am sure it would not cost an awful lot to get a definitive answer.

#7 ·
That looks like a what most call a harmonic balancer ring if it came off from the axle or drive shaft. Hard to tell actual size of that part from the picture. It looks like it COULD also be an exhaust hanger if it is only about 3' in diameter.
So you have the top model for the year Avenger, your avatar pic. looks sharp! Make sure you also go to the Newbie Check In page and introduce yourself to the whole Forum Family!
Based off what you told me I'm guessing it's the harmonic balancer. Is that something that should be replaced? Thanks for your help! :)

#8 ·
If it came on the car, it SHOULD be on the car. It will most likely be driveable for some time depending on your use. They don't usually put things on a car without good reason. If I am correct, it is there to dampen driveshaft vibrations. What area of Pa. are you from? I have family in Berwick/ Bloomsburg area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.