Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 SE with the 2.4l 4-cyl that rattles at idle with the A/C on and the trans in drive or park. I took the car to a shop and they replaced the serpentine belt, idle pullies and tensioner pulley. The rattling seemed to be coming from the tensioner pulley and they agreed that that's where it was coming from. The issue I'm having is that after replacing the parts it is still rattling, and the only way it can be made to stop is either with a little bit of gas raising it from idle, or if the mechanic uses a breaker bar and puts a little pressure on it. Anyone else experience this? The tensioner pulley was replaced twice to verify it wasn't a bad part our of the box, and it was also bought from a different store. First was from a local Car Quest and the other was bought from a local Napa. Anybody have any clues or ideas what's going on?

·
Premium Member
7,056 Posts
If putting pressure to the tensioner, then it's NOT that pulley. It is the whole tensioner arm. Which is spring loaded to apply correct tension to the serpentine belt. With age and miles they loose that spring force. I in my area replace the whole unit and not just the tensioner pulley. for this reason.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see what you're saying, and this actually the case. I replaced the whole part and not just the pulley itself. That's what was confusing the mechanic is that if he had only replaced the pulley it would have made sense, not if he had replaced the whole tensioner part. I should have made that more clear in my original post.

·
Premium Member
7,056 Posts
Also there have been reports of aftermarket idler pulley's NOT being the same diameter being smaller thus allowing more slack to have to take up. Maybe this is what's happening then?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not 100% sure what's going on. My ac compressor went out and I thought somehow that had been the issue but it's still there. Even my mechanic is stumped. I can definitely look i to the diameter of the pulley to see if that makes any difference. The only other thing that I've noticed is that when it makes the rattling sound the pulley on the tensioner looks like it's wobbling. The mechanic replaced it because he thought it was a bad bearing but that didn't change anything. Luckily he took off the price of the labor but kept the new part on there. Is it possible it could be the cam pulley? That was one suggestion he threw out there.

·
Premium Member
7,056 Posts
Are you speaking of the serpentine belt and various belt pullies? IF so, then check the crankshaft pulley for loss of vulcanisation of the outer (belt area) pulley to the inner portion of the pulley.
IF you are speaking of deeper inside the motor rattles, then there is the possibility of the timing CHAIN stretched or plastic chain guides being worn out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts