Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't realize until today that it is a plastic cover on the wheel. Why would this be optional. I would rather have had the aluminum ones. The dealer made it sound like they were the better wheels. Oh well. Has anyone removed the "chrome clad" plastic to see what the wheel underneath looks like? Are they polishable? Anyone have any pictures of the raw wheel?

Thanks.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
I didn't realize until today that it is a plastic cover on the wheel. Why would this be optional. I would rather have had the aluminum ones. The dealer made it sound like they were the better wheels. Oh well. Has anyone removed the "chrome clad" plastic to see what the wheel underneath looks like? Are they polishable? Anyone have any pictures of the raw wheel?

Thanks.
I actually love the chrome clad...I hate real chrome... One rock chip ruins it all...With these, instead of redipping the chrome/getting a new rim, you just get a new cover for dirt cheap. I had them before and loved them. My last set of real chrome, one rock chip hit them - I started cleaning to clean them one day, noticed the chip, wiped around it and it started flaking...this was GM mind you (yes I was a traitor at one point) so I had to get a new one since dipping was not a common thing in our state (and we didn't use the internet as much as we do now) and it was about $800-1000, don't recall...

And you said it yourself, you didn't even know :) Most people won't either...

·
Registered
112 Posts

Thanks.
I don't think any Avenger owners have removed them yet. From reading some of the other Dodge/Chrysler forums tho, the consensus from those who have is. You will scratch the rim up removing them and will have to have it sandblasted to remove the adhesive that is used to hold the cladding on. After the sandblasting, they had them powder coated and were happy with them.

·
Registered
139 Posts
On my 05 Dodge Ram I had stock 20"" chrome wheels and I got a rock chip. within a week it just kept flaking and get bigger and bigger. A new wheel was around $800.00
What did I do? I traded it in for a Avenger R/T

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
On my 05 Dodge Ram I had stock 20"" chrome wheels and I got a rock chip. within a week it just kept flaking and get bigger and bigger. A new wheel was around $800.00
What did I do? I traded it in for a Avenger R/T
lol...and did you get the chrome clad wheels on that one too?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts

Thanks.
I think we all would be interested in seeing this hehe. I'm hoping there isn't a need to remove the covers on mine, because I like the look right now. Only time will tell on how long they hold up. The potholes in michigan are not helping though!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
The reason is because chrome doesn't bond well with aluminum. It does slightly better on steel but minimally so. However, it adheres quite well on plastic. Because of this, they can also use less chrome and achieve a more durable and equally shiny finish at a cheaper price. If the durability was there, they would have chromed the rims as it is cheaper to do that than to pay for tooling and production of a plastic rim, but that is not the case.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don't believe the Ram's use the chrome-clad but I could be mistaken...

No,They were chrome wheels,not chrome-clad.

I wish I would have taken a picture of it. When I first got the chip it was a little bigger then the size of a dime. Within a week it was about 3". I went to my Dodge dealer to show them and they wouldn't do anything about the flaking. They said they never saw that before.

The funny thing is that I was looking to buy a Charger and ended up with the Avenger.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
The reason is because chrome doesn't bond well with aluminum. It does slightly better on steel but minimally so. However, it adheres quite well on plastic. Because of this, they can also use less chrome and achieve a more durable and equally shiny finish at a cheaper price. If the durability was there, they would have chromed the rims as it is cheaper to do that than to pay for tooling and production of a plastic rim, but that is not the case.

Thats a good synopsis right there! :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Another reason why chrome clad wheels are used on those cars is that to get chrome weels for a reasonable price is that you need to get steel and steel is heavier than aluminum. By having a chrome clad on an aluminium wheel, you're having the best of both worlds: the glamour look of the chrome wheels and the light wheight of the aliminum that help you to have better performances and save on gas.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Chrome clad removal

I took one off the other day, I can post pics if you guys would like to see the rim underneath, far different from the ram wheel with the cladding taken off that I seen 10 minutes prior to trying this myself. It's fairly simple with a plastic prying tool. Didn't figure that out till after about 5 minutes of pounding on the center piece with a 3 point hammer and a 3" pipe.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I took one off the other day, I can post pics if you guys would like to see the rim underneath, far different from the ram wheel with the cladding taken off that I seen 10 minutes prior to trying this myself. It's fairly simple with a plastic prying tool. Didn't figure that out till after about 5 minutes of pounding on the center piece with a 3 point hammer and a 3" pipe.
I would like that picture, if you would be so kind :smileup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts