Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I replaced my factory tires with a set of new yokohama's. 10,000 mile later the tires will need to be replace soon. Has anyone have this problem?? Are the strut's needing placed?? BTW the front tires are still looking brand new and another thing the tires are rounded on the edge's but now the tires are flat. As you should know i'm not happy!

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
So I replaced my factory tires with a set of new yokohama's. 10,000 mile later the tires will need to be replace soon. Has anyone have this problem?? Are the strut's needing placed?? BTW the front tires are still looking brand new and another thing the tires are rounded on the edge's but now the tires are flat. As you should know i'm not happy!

Had my rear potenzas last about 10k miles too. My front ones lost half the thread in that time. Sadly they were a no mileage warranty tire so I can't do anything but cry about it. Discount Tire where I bought them from checked my car out and found nothing wrong, told me tough nuggies and that was about it. Firestone where I get my alignment done couldn't find anything wrong either. Even my alignment wasn't that bad off.

not sure what is going on, but I can't afford to drop $800 every 10-15k miles on tires.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interpid, yes wearing evenly and air pressure set at 35 on all 4 tires. Wonder why the rear only. My friend that did the front end alignment said he doesn't understand it and thinking it the struts. I cant afford to buy new tires like that either

·
Registered
777 Posts
What are the rear alignment specs exactly? I've heard that they're abit excessive for both camber and toe. The factory rears on my 200 are wearing faster than the fronts and it has danced a bit on me when hitting big enough bumps in wet conditions. Planning on having the alignment checked and maybe getting the rear reset to 0° toe in, even if that could be considered out of spec.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
That's very weird guys. If the factory tires(I'm assuming LS2's) wore evenly then the new tires should also. If your rear control arm bushings are worn it could cause this. If the struts are worn there would be uneven cupping wear on the tire. There must be warranty replacement on them?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My factory tires last about 70,000 miles.The rear wore out a little faster than the front. With the new tires my car does jump around when hitting a bump on dry pavement but I was thinking with the stiff sidewall was doing this. I need to find the problem before spending more on another set of tires

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
I don't believe that you can align the back wheels. You would have to buy after market adjustable control arms for that.

·
Registered
777 Posts
IIRC, camber is locked, but toe is adjustable. I'm no fan of toe in on my R/C stuff, so if I can set it at 0°, I will. Camber wise, I don't mind a little camber since I do run the things hard and that will keep more rubber on the ground in corners.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Not sure where I got these specs, it's been a while. Don't know if they are correct.

for a 2010 dodge avenger
front camber -.9 to +.3 -.3 preferred
front toe in +.12 to +.24
front caster angle + 3.3 non-adjustable
rear camber -1.1 to -.1 , -.6 preferred
toe in +.1 to +.2
thrust angle -.15 to .15 , 0 ideal ( angle from centerline )

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
after the dealership crawled over and under my car today, they could not find anything wrong with it. They said to maybe replace the rear shocks or struts, which ever they are and to get harder tires. The current ones are so bad now my ABS and ESC lights stay lit and cruise control is disabled. They say it is just from tire wear. Looking for some good tires now with excellent tread life... Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
I would recommend Michelin Defenders Shurick. A good friend of mine is a manager at a chain of tire shops in my area recommends them. They have long tread life, they're smooth and the biggest seller right now.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
That was my experience of Yokos many moons ago. Really grippy but soft as a really soft, easily worn thing. I stick with something a little harder wearing these days...

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
so, Bridgestone took pity on me (yay!) and is paying 60% of a new set of tires. They said my current tires are really soft and shouldn't get that much mileage, but to wear down to 1/32" in under 12k miles was still too bad and horrible. They also said discount tire should have advised me of the poor tread life that I would have with "such a powerful car"

anyway, had my choice of Ecopias, DriveGuards or a competitors brand. I opted for the Michelin Defenders. Felt lousy doing that to them, but still... Since discount tire didn't have the Defenders in stock I had to go with Bridgestone. Getting Ecopias installed as I am typing. Chose them for the long life/wear. Not the 90k miles that defenders had, but 65k is still not bad and I didn't have to pay full price. But it still is costing $370 with all the fees and crap, excluding road hazard...

I'll keep you posted on how they are doing

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Thanks for sharing Schurick, hope they work out for you. Good to hear Bridgestone is backing you up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever get an answer to this? We have a 2013 dodge avenger and we go through 2-3 pairs of tires on the rear end. Dodge said everything was fine and another shop replaced the struts and it is still happening. Any help appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,320 Posts
I would suggest that it's time to find a GOOD alignment shop. There is a lot more to the rear suspension than just struts, there are control arms and links that have rubber bushings that wear out and affect alignment that need to be checked and replaced to get and keep settings correct for best tire life. This is not just an Avenger tire problem, it happens with most all front wheel drive vehicles.
Good luck, and Welcome to the Forumz!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts