Red Light in center of speedometer | Dodge Avenger Forum

Red Light in center of speedometer

Discussion in 'Dodge Avenger Electrical Problems and Questions' started by auntsrevenger, Dec 16, 2012.

1. auntsrevenger

auntsrevenger New Member

Hello all, I'm new to this forum, but I'm very familiar. I know there is a vast amount of knowledge in here. I've been a gear-head all my life and I'm usually the go to for most of my family. That being said, my aunt just called me and asked about a red light (not a lightning bolt) in the middle of her speedometer that is flashing. It's also flashing while she's driving. This is an 08 2.4 SFI DOHC. Problem is, I'm in IN and she's in WVa so this is really all I know, I'm not real familiar with the Avengers (yet) and a google search didn't give me a whole lot, except lead me here to the knowledgeable Avenger fanatics. Any insight will be greatly appreciated. She just wanted to know if it is a dire emergency or not.

2. namretsud

namretsud Active Member

Media:
    A picture of said light on the dash would help us to understand what is going on.

3. schurick

schurick Active Member

LOL

he said he has no access to the car. We could all go and crank our cars and find the light, or post a lit up dash for him to understand what is what.

4. marquis2011

marquis2011 Member

Media:
    Albums:
    [​IMG]

Well here's the instrument panel. From your description it sounds like the one at the top center, which is the theft alarm light

schurick likes this.
  5. auntsrevenger

auntsrevenger New Member

I just talked w/ her she confirmed it is the 1 in the center right below 60. :smiley_thumbs_up:

So is there a way to reset the security system? The light is flashing while she's driving, I would hate for her to go into a store and come out to a no start. She's getting ready to come this way for the holidays, hopefully trouble free, I can take a closer look at it then.

My past experience w/ factory alarm sys. has been unpleasant to say the least (familiar w/96-98 Buick Skylarks? :3-smash: )

BTW thanks for the quick replies !

6. mlobitz

mlobitz Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Weird... Is this a new occurrence? If she uses the key fob to unlock the car it should turn off automatically... Maybe have her try the other key fob? Perhaps the key is losing it's programming?? No idea at all... I would think it wouldn't start if it weren't working correctly.

7. Derson59

Derson59 Member Military

Media:
    The battery on the fob might be dying. That's my two cents. I would take it to a dealership and see if they have any answer for you. Or have her use the other key for the time being if that one works.

Before that if you have a scan tool it will tell you what the problem would be, so I would try that first.

The Sentry Key REmote Entry System (SKREES), sometimes referred to as the Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS), performs a self-test each time the ignition switch is turned to the On position, and will store key-related fault information in the form of a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) in SKREEM/WCM memory if a Sentry Key transponder problem is detected. The Sentry Key transponder chip can be diagnosed, and any stored DTC can be retrieved using a diagnostic scan tool.

Hope this helps keep us updated...

8. JRHubb

JRHubb New Member

I just talked to the dealership, they want $125 to tell me what is wrong (why the light i flashing). The mechanic said it was new to him, but it sounded like there was a loss in communication.

9. xgxh

xgxh New Member

I am having the same issue actually. 2008 Avenger. I noticed on my drive in to work today that it was flashing on and off, or it was steadily on. Strangely enough when I turned the heat off it turned the light off...and when I turned the heat back on the light came on. It didn't do it consistently so I'm assuming it was a coincidence. I work at an auto auction and am going to ask one of our mechanics shortly, but we don't usually have Avengers.

10. xgxh

xgxh New Member

Only thing I can come up with on my own is maybe the FOB battery is dying, and a coworker mentioned that his old Buick had a semi-similar issue and he had to replace his entire key.

11. JRHubb

JRHubb New Member

Ok, for my 2008 it turned out to be a wrong key fault. My mechanic took the wrong key and tried to start my car. When he reset the fault it cleared it.

I guess it's Dodge's way of getting money from us when someone trys to start our cars with the wrong key.

12. murray31887

murray31887 New Member

Wrong key fault

So if it is indeed a wrong key fault causing this, is there a DIY way to reset them? I have a great engine/transmission/ABS code reader/diagnostic tool for my iPhone 5 and obviously it doesn't come up for those.

13. mochachoclat

mochachoclat New Member

I have a 08 Avenger also and I'm also experiencing the same problem. My light started blinking while I was driving about 2 months ago. But when the alarm light was flashing so was the tire pressure light. But sometimes the alarm light would just flash by itself. The light wouldn't start flashing until I was driving the car for about 20 minutes then it would come on and off. The light would blink like it was a short circuit somewheres in the wires because sometimes the lights would blink on and off fast then at other times its would stay on for a while. I don't think that my problem is the wrong key fault because I do most of my work on my own car and in the passed couple of months when I did take my car to the shop the light had already started coming on. I really need to find out what is wrong with the light flashing.

14. murray31887

murray31887 New Member

Mochachoclat

My problem is identical to yours, no solution yet

15. 2008Avenger

2008Avenger New Member

Same problem here. It does this