Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a weird one.We got in the car today,a 2010 Dodge Avenger.Car started but when my wife hit the gas the radio and dashboard lights shut off and the battery light came on.Let go off the gas and the radio and lights came back on.At this point we took the other car.Later on my wife noticed a clicking noise.I poped the hood and found the most driver side relay was the culprit.Switched relays and the same thing.Any ideas on what would cause this?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Look for codes to help resolve. Have a code reader check for codes or use the key dance to get codes. (use the search to see how to do the key dance) How old is your battery?

·
Premium Member
6,323 Posts
Also what motor size is under the hood? AND when was the last time the battery and cable connections checked/cleaned. Loss of good power(+) and grounds(=) will cause all kinds of electrical "quirks".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did check for codes with my reader and there is none.Battery is about 3 years old.I will pull the tire and check out the battery

·
Premium Member
6,323 Posts
Yup, located in a nasty spot and thus NEVER gets proper attention.
Good Luck, and I hope it is either an older dying battery or better yet needy cable ends.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I pulled the battery and cleaned all terminals on battery and up top at jump start location.Jumped the car and my wife uses it for three days.The third night it was raining and I went outside and I heard the relay clicking again.Opened hood and found another clicking noise at top of engine,Alternating with relay.Pulled cover and tipm.No nicked wires or corrosion.Starting to wonder if maybe the tipm is bad because we have also have the passenger side headlight out and a new bulb doesnt fix

·
Premium Member
6,323 Posts
Could very well be a dying TIPM/fuse panel out in the engine compartment. The first few years were known for them to go bad, Thankfully the price has come down A LOT for that unit. Give rockauto.com a check for price/availability, I use them for almost all parts I need and hard to beat their prices elsewhere.
Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I pulled the battery and cleaned all terminals on battery and up top at jump start location.Jumped the car and my wife uses it for three days.The third night it was raining and I went outside and I heard the relay clicking again.Opened hood and found another clicking noise at top of engine,Alternating with relay.Pulled cover and tipm.No nicked wires or corrosion.Starting to wonder if maybe the tipm is bad because we have also have the passenger side headlight out and a new bulb doesnt fix
When you had the battery out, did you also clean the battery clamp and cable connector? With these vehicles they didn't seem to make the clamp and cable a solid unit and instead made it a bolt together unit. Also did you have the battery load tested. I had a 1 year old battery go bad.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
You should pull the TIPM out completely and check all connectors coming in to the bottom of the unit to check for corrosion. Disconnect the battery first. Some dielectric grease on the connectors works well to protect the connections.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Just for reference if you need:

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
  2. Release the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) cover retaining clips and open the TIPM cover (1).
  3. Depress the mounting clips (2) to disengage and remove the TIPM housing (3) from its mounting bracket.

1. Access the bottom of the TIPM.
  2. Remove the TIPM B+ cable retainer (1).
  3. Remove the B+ cable (2) from the TIPM stud (3).
  4. Disconnect the harness connectors from the bottom of the TIPM.
  5. Remove the TIPM from the vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did clean all parts if the terminal and I removed the tipm and the pins all lookes pretty good.For the headlight I read to reset the tipm.Ahould it reset itself since the battery is dead or do I need to tie the positive and negative wires together

1 - 14 of 14 Posts