Remote Start Hood Switch

Zeevert

This post is mostly to share information for an uncommon issue.
Who knows, it may help someone someday.

My 2011 Avenger is Salvage/Rebuild. It had front end damage. When I bought it, I didn't know that the car came with a remote starter. All I saw was a strange key fob with five buttons. Via the VIN, the dealer confirmed that the car had an OEM remote starter.

When I tried to remote start it, the information screen on the dash would say that ther remote start was aborted because the hood was open.

Apparently, when the car was rebuilt, they forgot to replace the hood switch. When I went to the dealer, he was unable to locate the hood switch, even after I told him where it was located on the car. He finally used the part number I found on-line after a looooong search. He had it in stock.

The part number for 2007-2013 Avenger hood switch is:
05026211AA
The dealer price was about $20. On-line price was less, but after shipping, it would probably be the same as the the dealer full retail price.
http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/products/2008/4x2--67l-cummins-turbo-diesel--6-speed-manual/switch-remote-starter--underhood/4298365/05026211aa.html

Here are pictures of my switch:

After I installed it, the remote start would work if I manually depressed the hood switch, but not when the hood was closed. After I did some more investigation, I could see that the switch was hitting a strange part of the hood where it was curved. I have temporarily tied the switch down to stay "closed" all the time, until I can figure out a solution.... when it gets warmer.

The connector was a simple oval connector with two wires. Apparently, there is no orientation on the plug, it goes in either way.

Here is a picture of the switch location under the hood. Same for 3.6L or 2.4L.

Zeevert

Oh.... if anyone happens to have this switch on their car, and happen to have a picture of the underside of their hood, that would be very helpful.
(Upper left corner; when open)

ShortBus

MOTM Winner!
Here is a pic of the require auto start actuator.

that just depresses the hood switch.. it's not really an actuator..

also tell the klutz at your dealer to take more than 30 seconds to look for something.. tell him to click the little guy that looks like the old AIM icon (guy running) type in 11 JS 008 110 click ok and #1 in clear daylight is the hood switch. I found it in like ohh 30 seconds.. including the time it took to actually load star parts on my laptop, log in, scroll to the bottom of my bookmarks, click on my car, click navigator, electrical look through all the switches, nothing. clicked the binoculars searched for hood and boom first result found. damn it took longer to type that than it did to find the part itself haha.. i really hate lazy parts people. really pisses me off. lol

ShortBus

MOTM Winner!
Oh.... if anyone happens to have this switch on their car, and happen to have a picture of the underside of their hood, that would be very helpful.
(Upper left corner; when open)
5026468AB $8.25 if your dealer doesn't have it in stock should be less than 3-5 days away.

mlobitz

MOTM Winner!
that just depresses the hood switch.. it's not really an actuator..

also tell the klutz at your dealer to take more than 30 seconds to look for something.. tell him to click the little guy that looks like the old AIM icon (guy running) type in 11 JS 008 110 click ok and #1 in clear daylight is the hood switch. I found it in like ohh 30 seconds.. including the time it took to actually load star parts on my laptop, log in, scroll to the bottom of my bookmarks, click on my car, click navigator, electrical look through all the switches, nothing. clicked the binoculars searched for hood and boom first result found. damn it took longer to type that than it did to find the part itself haha.. i really hate lazy parts people. really pisses me off. lol
I like that you tell it how it is... ha!

Some parts guys are lazy as shit. My old man has been in parts for a looong time for Mercedes (had to get out of the shop because of physical issues/age). It's amazing the difference between a good parts guy and a lazy one. Don't they make commission? You would think that they would be more interested in finding the part you need...

ShortBus

MOTM Winner!
I like that you tell it how it is... ha!

Some parts guys are lazy as shit. My old man has been in parts for a looong time for Mercedes (had to get out of the shop because of physical issues/age). It's amazing the difference between a good parts guy and a lazy one. Don't they make commission? You would think that they would be more interested in finding the part you need...
yeah i'm on commission. sucks when you get phone calls when people have NO idea what exactly they're looking for, so you try to ask questions to figure it out. then there's 50 different options depending on certain sales codes. so the person has no idea what the car is equipped with. so you need a vin number. they can't find it. then it turns out to be like a 10 dollar part. ugh. 20 minute phone call for pennies.

Zeevert

The actuator came in.
Very simple plastic part.
It has a couple clips that snap into a couple holes in the hood.
I snapped it in, and was going to take it back out to get a before and after picture.... sorry, it wasn't coming out easy.

The picture from namretsud shows a rivet holding it in, but I used a plastic retainer. Thanks again namretsud for the picture. It was a great clue.

The remote start works great.

gregzbobo

MOTM Winner!
:smileup:That plastic retainer is a good idea, the dealer left the rivet out when they installed mine and I've had it just held on with the "built-in" clips, I'll have to see if I have any plastic retainers around that'd work.

namretsud

You're welcome. Glad I could help to make it work for you. Thanks also to Shortbus for providing the part # lookup.

Dakingkinz

I know this quite an old forum, pretty sure it's no longer active but I just wanted to say thank you for this post! I had my battery replaced and it seemed like my remote start was no longer working but I found this thread, took a quick look under the hood, and it turns out this piece was missing! I'm not sure how the worker at belle tire managed to knock it off but they replaced it for me free of charge! Thank you so much for this thread!

HaulinHahn

Came into this thread while investigating why my 2011 avenger 3.6 auto start stopped working. I bought the car used so do not know if it is a factory auto start but to activate it i would hit the lock button 3 times and car would start. Well now this winter i hit the button 3 times and no start and my parking lights flash 6 times. After reading this thread i go out to car and sure enough the hood pin plunger is completely gone and the electrical plug just hanging out of harness. So thinking THAT'S IT i get part from dealer and just installed it....Still No start, i even tried duct taping plunger down and closed hood with no luck and still 6 parking light flashes....any ideas where to check or try next? I would hate to take it to stealership and get gouged for something simple....thanks