Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a 2 week wait on the part (came straight from manufacturer), my remote start arrived at the dealer on friday. I dropped my car off for them to install it and was to pick it up saturday. Friday evening the service advisor called me and told me the remote start didn't come with instructions and the site the tech thought he could get it from was down. I picked up the car and the service advisor told me he would call me on monday. The dealer got their hands on the instructions on tuesday and I dropped my car off for them to install it. I picked my car up tonight, remote start installed and working! They also gave me 2 brand new keys with the added button for the remote start. The dealer reprogrammed my 2 original keys (not sure why they needed reprogrammed since they don't have the remote start button, but anyway...). So now I have 4 keys, 2 with remote start, 2 without - all operate the anti-theft system and operate the car.

Keep an eye out on the dealer thread for a write up on my experience with this remote start. The dealer I bought the car from could not, after a week, get the remote start to work. I'll explain in detail in the write up in the dealer thread in the next few days. I have to dig up my notes on the whole experience!

I'm happy, after about 45 days of owning the car (selling dealer wrote on sales paperwork that I signed that they were to install remote start) to finally have my remote start.

I have an 08 avenger R/T FWD.

Oh yeah, part was around $200 and labor around $150. The dealer that installed it told me the guide says the remote start takes 1.5 hrs to install but the tech worked on it for half the day and he commented it was not easy to install and the tech had a few issues to work through. They only charged me 1.5 hrs labor since that is what the guide said and that is what they quoted me. I wonder now if other avenger owners will get charged more for the installation at this particular dealership.

- Dan M

·
Registered
477 Posts
remote start

I had problems with mine as well... i did not get the keys with the button on the. i got a separate key fob... when I start my car i have to unlock it first otherwise the alarm will sound.. no fix for that they said,, should have ordered it from the factory....lol...lol

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have to unlock the doors before you can use the remote start? Sounds like a poor installation to me!

- Dan M

I had problems with mine as well... i did not get the keys with the button on the. i got a separate key fob... when I start my car i have to unlock it first otherwise the alarm will sound.. no fix for that they said,, should have ordered it from the factory....lol...lol

·
Registered
477 Posts
no...... that is what I thought.. They checked and re-checked it.. they went thru the computer and there were no codes... has something to do with it not being factory. Even though i got it thru Dodge its still aftermarket..

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Glad you got it working DM! Now if we can get KLS's fixed somehow..we'll be in business! :)

·
Registered
477 Posts
well.... if anyone else knows where to find out the answer. I will be glad to take it back and have them look at it AGAIN..... as of right now. they said its working properly....

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that defeats the purpose of a remote start. Though you're not supposed to be able to shift into gear with remote start without using key.

Do you know who made the unit? Perhaps, call the manufacturer for some imput. Or see someone who specializes in after market product installation to have them re-check.

- Dan M

·
Registered
477 Posts
yes. I know it defeats the purpose..... I am not sure who the maker is.... But I know the tech told him he got a call from another shop putting a viper system in a car.. they had the same problem....

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
yes. I know it defeats the purpose..... I am not sure who the maker is.... But I know the tech told him he got a call from another shop putting a viper system in a car.. they had the same problem....
Sounds like it could be a software issue then...odd.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts