Removing amber reflector in headlights? | Dodge Avenger Forum

Removing amber reflector in headlights?

Discussion in 'Custom Interior and Exterior Lighting' started by Agentwright, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Agentwright

Agentwright New Member

anybody do this? id love to see the look of a clear corner headlight.

2. mlobitz

mlobitz Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    There are 3 holes behind the reflector, it would look like it was missing...

3. Agentwright

Agentwright New Member

Well bummer. Thanks

4. mlobitz

Media:
    If you were to fill in the holes and paint it, it could work, but that is a lot of work. I am doing a projector retrofit at the moment and just used Niteshades to tint mine black. That way they blend in with the black housing a little better, but still reflect when light is shined on them...

5. MoparMux

MoparMux Member

No, not true

Paint the back side of the reflector when you take it off... Ill take a pic of mine and post it... It looks really good!

6. John316

John316 Active Member Site Supporter Level 1 MOTM Winner!

Media:
    We didn't have that problem in the UK/Europe... But then we never had the black-backed R/T version. Some you win....

[​IMG]

7. davect01

davect01 Well-Known Member MOTM Winner! Forum Founder

Media:
    It would also be illegal.

According to DOT Regs, you have to have a reflector that shines from the side.

8. MoparMux

MoparMux Member

What I did was take the reflector off, and did a single coat of paint on the back side... it still shines!

9. schurick

schurick Active Member

ever wonder why it is always amber in the front and red in the back? there is a reason for it. Same reason why hazard signs are triangular and why the yield is the only one upside down. Some things you just can't mess with. You can get into serious trouble with that.

10. davect01

Media:
    non-moving

You would get a non-moving violation, and be responsible to removing it.

All depends on if the cop wants to pull you over or not.

11. mlobitz

Media:
    Confused... What exactly isn't true??

12. davect01

Media:
    laws, be informed

Here in the US, there are federal laws and state laws.

State laws vary and a good listing can be found here:
    http://traffic.findlaw.com/traffic-tickets/state-traffic-laws/
    http://www.tintlaws.com/

Federal DOT laws cover all:
    http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/standards/

Specifically for this discussion:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lighting#Rear_position_lamps_.28tail_lamps.29

In the US, amber front and red rear side marker lamps and retroreflectors are required. The law initially required lights or retroreflectors on vehicles made after 1 January 1968. This was amended to require lights and retroreflectors on vehicles made after 1 January 1970.[35] These side-facing devices make the vehicle's presence, position and direction of travel clearly visible from oblique angles.[35] The lights are wired so as to illuminate whenever the vehicles' parking and taillamps are on, including when the headlamps are being used.[6] Front amber side markers in the United States may be wired so as to flash in synchronous phase or opposite-phase with the turn signals, but are not required to flash at all.[36]

There are two major types of violations for normal passenger vehicles. (A whole lot more for commercial)

1- Moving violations; Speeding, DUI, Red Light Running, etc. These are reported to your insurance and go against your record. These are the ones we always think of and usually are much more serious

2- Non-moving violations; Improper lighting, too dark of of window tint, using studded tires when not allowed, etc. Generally not reported to your insurance, and don't go against your record. The fine often is revoked, if you remove the modification, but that is up to the court.

You often won't get pulled over for these directly, but it really depends on the officer and how egregious the violation. For example some cities/states are really picky on tint laws and will pull you over just to check. Others are very lenient and even when pulled over, don't really care.

You could go years with an illegal modification and never get pulled over, or get pulled over ten minutes after installing it.

13. mlobitz

Media:
    davect01, I understand the laws, I just wasn't sure what he was saying wasn't true.

With the tint I put on mine they still reflect amber when light is shined on them (required by MN state law) but blend in when not in use. They also have an amber appearance with light behind them, just more subdued. I also left my tail light light enough that the reflect red when light is shined on them (once again, MN state law) but they still have a dark tinted appearance...

14. schurick

schurick Active Member

Dave, that is fine yes, as long as the illegal modifications haven't caused something else to happen. If they are determined to be the cause of an accident for instance, I am pretty sure there will be a boatload of other charges coming with it.

15. MoparMux

MoparMux Member

Sorry, didn't really mean not true...

What I meant was that it doesn't look terrible... like dave said state laws vary.
    Not sure what they are here in NE, but the way that I understand it, is as long as they "reflect" then you're good to go.

For mine, I took a flashlight to it after I painted a thin coat on the back side and it still "reflected"

Forgot about this post though, I'll try to remember to put a few pics up tomorrow.

16. mlobitz

Media:
    MN law reads that way as well. Must "reflect red/amber" depending on if they are front or back. Also, I believe that white markers and blinkers are legal here.

17. v6ufo

v6ufo Member

Media:
    i did this on my sonata and i never once got hit for not having my reflectors and i got many work orders for green hids color changing lights and then some . they never got me for reflector . and i wanted to do the same to my avenger . can i see the ones that were painted on the back side of the reflector please ? when i order the rt head lights i will be modding them .

18. gregzbobo

gregzbobo Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Actual enforcement of the law varies with any given law enforcement officer, some are out there to actually pull over blatant lawbreakers, and some pull you over if they THINK your taillights aren't red enough which actually happened to me once in my other car. No ticket, not even a warning, just a "I pulled you over because I THOUGHT your taillights weren't red enough, but seeing them closer they are. Have a good evening sir". So YMMV.