Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to remove the door panels to replace the front speakers? Also, does anyone know how the door speaker and the dash tweeter are connected to each other?

2008 Avenger SXT 6 speaker (non Boston Accoustics)

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Not sure. Would love to get my hands on a service manual soon though!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just tore into it and wow, that was easy. 3 screws on the door panel come out and then just start pulling. The front door speakers are actually 6x9's. I was surprised.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just spent $100 and upgraded the stock sound system tremendously! I simply replaced the two front door speakers with Alpine 2way 6 1/2" speakers. Sounds really good. No amp, just running off of the stock stereo.

My next project is to add some subs to the trunk. I have two 10" subs, but I may ditch them and buy one 12" sub. I'll be powering it with a 350w Alpine amp. It should really wake the stock system up a bit.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Hmm....I have a 12" alpine sub and a 5 channel alpine amp I may be willing to part with for the right price...where are you located?

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
I just spent $100 and upgraded the stock sound system tremendously! I simply replaced the two front door speakers with Alpine 2way 6 1/2" speakers. Sounds really good. No amp, just running off of the stock stereo.

My next project is to add some subs to the trunk. I have two 10" subs, but I may ditch them and buy one 12" sub. I'll be powering it with a 350w Alpine amp. It should really wake the stock system up a bit.
How about the tweeters in the dash, Did you change them too?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nope, I haven't found any that will fit in the dash. Its a 2 inch tweeter. I'm sure I could order some online from crutchfield or something, but I'm not too worried about them. The new speakers I put in are two-way and have a tweeter built into the center of them. It sounds pretty good.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
nope, I haven't found any that will fit in the dash. Its a 2 inch tweeter. I'm sure I could order some online from crutchfield or something, but I'm not too worried about them. The new speakers I put in are two-way and have a tweeter built into the center of them. It sounds pretty good.
Very nice. Is Polk any good?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hate to ask why replace your 6x9 doors with 6 1/2, my RT's system non Boston is one of the best factory systems Ive heard(once again being factory not name brand factory). I have tried to copy the sound on my 01 Cavalier, not quite there yet though.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
SueK, probably depends on which polk you get, as pretty much all makers have low, medium, and high end stuff.

As for replacing the 6x9 with a 6 1/2, I guess it could be a couple of reasons, my best guess would be going with components instead, where you would have a 6 1/2 and a small tweeter with a crossover. I think the way they set up the BA system is nice, but most of the bass is coming from the same speakers that produce the midranges as well..so if one has a sub installed, you wouldn't need the bass from the mids as much.

Just depends on your liking. I'm very happy with mine so far, maybe someday I'll upgrade but I'm in no hurry. :)

·
Registered
542 Posts
i replaced the tweeters in my car, the only way to really fit them in there is to make your own mount, they sell sheets of black plastic like you woudl see in an aftermarket dash kit, you just trace the old speaker mount and stuff onto it and then cut it out and cuz a hole for the new tweeter in it, its the quickest way to mount the tweeters and you can use pretty much any tweeter you want,

Reactions: Quiet Lunatic

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
i replaced the tweeters in my car, the only way to really fit them in there is to make your own mount, they sell sheets of black plastic like you woudl see in an aftermarket dash kit, you just trace the old speaker mount and stuff onto it and then cut it out and cuz a hole for the new tweeter in it, its the quickest way to mount the tweeters and you can use pretty much any tweeter you want,
Great thanks, I appreciate it. Now I have to find what I already have for speakers and I want to compare to some others. I don't have Boston's, They're the standard one's. I may have to call Dodge.

·
Registered
542 Posts
i didnt have the boston system either, cuz i knew i was gonna change it all out in the first couple of weeks, they are just some standard cheap stock tweeters taht you would find in any other car

1 - 13 of 13 Posts