Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a "how to" anyone has used to replace the timing cover gasket? I haven't been able to find one, and most videos I've come across are for other vehicles with the engine outside of the vehicle. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,613 Posts
Welcome back!
For your 2.7 motor I found a you tube video titled...2001-2010 Chrysler Sebring 2.7L water pump timing chain removal. It is pretty good showing what and how to get at, including timing cover...IN CAR. Should work for your needs. SORRY but as any longtime member here knows, I don't have the computer skills to link it to you. I found it on Google search.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Hope this helps you out:

INSTALLATION

TIMING CHAIN COVER SEALING

1 - PLACE A 1/8 INCH BEAD OF SEALER AT PARTING LINE

1. Inspect and clean timing chain cover sealing surfaces.
  2. Before installing timing cover gasket apply a 1/8 inch bead of Mopar® Engine RTV GEN II to the parting lines (1) between the oil pan and cylinder block.

1. Install timing cover (2) and gasket (1). Tighten M10 cover bolts to 54 N·m (40 ft. lbs.) and M6 bolts to 12 N·m (105 in. lbs.).
  2. Install front crankshaft oil seal using Special Tool 6780-2 sleeve and 6780-1 installer.
  3. Install right engine mount (Refer to Engine/Engine Mounting/INSULATOR, Engine Mount - Installation)(Refer To List 1).
  4. Install screws attaching heater supply tube to right front frame rail area.

Accessory Drive Belt System - 2.7L

1 - GENERATOR
2 - BELT

1. Connect heater hose to supply tube at right front frame rail area.
  2. Install AC/Generator belt tensioner/bracket assembly.
  3. Install crankshaft vibration damper. (Refer to Engine/Engine Block/DAMPER, Vibration - Installation)(Refer To List 2)
  4. Install accessory drive belts (2) (Refer to Cooling/Accessory Drive/BELT, Serpentine - Installation)(Refer To List 3).

FRONT SPLASH SHIELDS

FRONT SPLASH SHIELDS

1. Install belt splash shield and right front wheel.
  2. Install coolant pressure container.
  3. Fill cooling system.
  4. Connect negative battery cable.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome back!
For your 2.7 motor I found a you tube video titled...2001-2010 Chrysler Sebring 2.7L water pump timing chain removal. It is pretty good showing what and how to get at, including timing cover...IN CAR. Should work for your needs. SORRY but as any longtime member here knows, I don't have the computer skills to link it to you. I found it on Google search.
Thanks!! I will look it up

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hope this helps you out:

INSTALLATION

1 - PLACE A 1/8 INCH BEAD OF SEALER AT PARTING LINE

1. Inspect and clean timing chain cover sealing surfaces.
  2. Before installing timing cover gasket apply a 1/8 inch bead of Mopar® Engine RTV GEN II to the parting lines (1) between the oil pan and cylinder block.

1. Install timing cover (2) and gasket (1). Tighten M10 cover bolts to 54 N·m (40 ft. lbs.) and M6 bolts to 12 N·m (105 in. lbs.).
  2. Install front crankshaft oil seal using Special Tool 6780-2 sleeve and 6780-1 installer.
  3. Install right engine mount (Refer to Engine/Engine Mounting/INSULATOR, Engine Mount - Installation)(Refer To List 1).
  4. Install screws attaching heater supply tube to right front frame rail area.

1 - GENERATOR
2 - BELT

1. Connect heater hose to supply tube at right front frame rail area.
  2. Install AC/Generator belt tensioner/bracket assembly.
  3. Install crankshaft vibration damper. (Refer to Engine/Engine Block/DAMPER, Vibration - Installation)(Refer To List 2)
  4. Install accessory drive belts (2) (Refer to Cooling/Accessory Drive/BELT, Serpentine - Installation)(Refer To List 3).
FRONT SPLASH SHIELDS

FRONT SPLASH SHIELDS

1. Install belt splash shield and right front wheel.
  2. Install coolant pressure container.
  3. Fill cooling system.
  4. Connect negative battery cable.
Thanks for the info. Right now I’m trying to see if there’s something like this, but for removing the cover.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Here you go, 2.7 timing cover removal:

REMOVAL

FRONT SPLASH SHIELDS

FRONT SPLASH SHIELDS

1. Disconnect and isolate negative battery cable.
  2. Drain cooling system.
  3. Remove coolant pressure container.
  4. Remove right front wheel and belt splash shield (2).

1 - GENERATOR
2 - IDLER/TENSIONER

1. Remove accessory drive belts (2) (Refer to Cooling/Accessory Drive/BELT, Serpentine - Removal)(Refer To List 1).
  2. Remove crankshaft vibration dampner (Refer to Engine/Engine Block/DAMPER, Vibration - Removal)(Refer To List 2).
  3. Remove AC/Generator belt tensioner/bracket assembly.
  4. Disconnect heater hose from tube at right front frame rail area.
  5. Remove screws securing heater supply tube to right frame rail. Reposition heater supply tube.

1. Place a floor jack with wooden block under oil pan to support engine.
  2. Remove right engine mount.
  3. Remove upper timing chain cover bolts.
  4. Remove remaining bolts securing timing chain cover to engine.
  5. Remove timing chain cover (2).
  6. Discard timing chain cover gasket (1). Remove front crankshaft oil seal from cover.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here you go, 2.7 timing cover removal:

REMOVAL

FRONT SPLASH SHIELDS

FRONT SPLASH SHIELDS

1. Disconnect and isolate negative battery cable.
  2. Drain cooling system.
  3. Remove coolant pressure container.
  4. Remove right front wheel and belt splash shield (2).

1 - GENERATOR
2 - IDLER/TENSIONER

1. Remove accessory drive belts (2) (Refer to Cooling/Accessory Drive/BELT, Serpentine - Removal)(Refer To List 1).
  2. Remove crankshaft vibration dampner (Refer to Engine/Engine Block/DAMPER, Vibration - Removal)(Refer To List 2).
  3. Remove AC/Generator belt tensioner/bracket assembly.
  4. Disconnect heater hose from tube at right front frame rail area.
  5. Remove screws securing heater supply tube to right frame rail. Reposition heater supply tube.

1. Place a floor jack with wooden block under oil pan to support engine.
  2. Remove right engine mount.
  3. Remove upper timing chain cover bolts.
  4. Remove remaining bolts securing timing chain cover to engine.
  5. Remove timing chain cover (2).
  6. Discard timing chain cover gasket (1). Remove front crankshaft oil seal from cover.
Thanks for the info!! I’ve seemed to get just about everything, but seem to need to drain the coolant to get the last bolt. Problem is I turn the drain plug for the radiator and nothing happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts