Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my car has a small vibration when it's idling. It also seams to stutter sometimes when I step on the gas. I put fuel cleaner in my last tank of gas and I have carb. Cleaner just in case. But im not sure where it's located. Also I noticed that the belt seams alittle loud and it vibrates the whole engine which is vibrating my car. Not bad but nociable. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,357 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You will find that once you introduce yourself on the Newbie check in page, that members will tend to communicate more, as the check in is kind of a tradition.
That said, a little background info. about your 2.4 motored 'Venger would be helpful. How long you have had it, miles on it, any recent service work is engine vibration constant or changes with different speeds/loads(like a/c on or off)?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello I checked in. So it seams to vibrate mostly when idling. Like it doesn't shake the wheel or anything .but I can tell when I open up the hood it's vibrating from the belts and making the engine vibrate. It's not violent. Just something i feel underneath me when I'm sitting in the car at the drive thru or something. Also can hear the belts from outside of the car when the hood is down . If there is anyway to post a video on here I'll gladly post it to help show what I mean. No recent work to it other then oil change and I've had it about 2 years. It's got roughly 60000 and is a 2012. Thank yoy

Welcome to the forum! You will find that once you introduce yourself on the Newbie check in page, that members will tend to communicate more, as the check in is kind of a tradition.
That said, a little background info. about your 2.4 motored 'Venger would be helpful. How long you have had it, miles on it, any recent service work is engine vibration constant or changes with different speeds/loads(like a/c on or off)?

·
Premium Member
7,357 Posts
Have you had any battery /charging system trouble? There are a few things that can cause the"belt noise" and I do not post these things to "scare" you.
The serpentine belt should be replaced soon anyway
The alternator pulley is a clutched drive assembly, unlike most other alternators and it seems many fail around the 70-80 k mileage mark they can cause a noise. And a dead battery. Sometimes even removed and tested the alt will test good,but I have yet to hear of a definitive test(other than noise/ loss of charge) for the clutch drive pulley.

The A/C compressors on the 'Vengers are prone to malfunction and they will make belt noise and other noises.
Lastly at 60k it should have new plugs, with the 2.4 motor ...a piece of cake to do.
Hope this can help you out on tracking down your concern!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay thanks! And yes I had the altinator replaced about a year ago. So I'm wondering if it has anything to do with that. But I will look into the other things. I'll at least have it checked out and keep the things you said in mind.

Have you had any battery /charging system trouble? There are a few things that can cause the"belt noise" and I do not post these things to "scare" you.
The serpentine belt should be replaced soon anyway
The alternator pulley is a clutched drive assembly, unlike most other alternators and it seems many fail around the 70-80 k mileage mark they can cause a noise. And a dead battery. Sometimes even removed and tested the alt will test good,but I have yet to hear of a definitive test(other than noise/ loss of charge) for the clutch drive pulley.

The A/C compressors on the 'Vengers are prone to malfunction and they will make belt noise and other noises.
Lastly at 60k it should have new plugs, with the 2.4 motor ...a piece of cake to do.
Hope this can help you out on tracking down your concern!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Just so you're aware...your car does not have a carburetor. I would suggest pulling the throttle body off and cleaning the back of the butterfly with some throttle body cleaner. I bet you will notice a decent amount of carbon build up on the back of it. When you spray it be sure not to get any in the electrical connector or you will end up having to buy a new throttle body.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Had this happen on mine with 88km (55000 miles) ended up being the idler control arms being worn and needing replacing, power steering pump, alternator and crank pully.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I have A similar noise on my 2008 2.0l crd avenger which has only started recently. I have checked drive belts,pulleys and possible coolant leaks and all looks fine.my avenger has 116,000 miles on it and have had the car for 8 months with no issues but its hard to get A mechanic in the uk willing to diagnose the issue .my 1st thought was water pump but absolutely no signs it could be that ,A/c or power steering.car has no problems with driving or power with acceleration. Noise only happens now and then when idling. Any advice you can give is appreciated bigtime as I do not want to part with the car giving how rare they are in the uk .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts