Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 08 Avenger R/T back last June and have already noticed rust "specks" on my car. I live in Chicago with lots of salt in the winter, would that cause it? I was curious if anyone has experienced the same thing and what you did about it? Would that be a warranty item that I can take back to the dealer and have them repair? I'm really disappointed, I've had plenty of new cars in the past and never had rust issues so early on. Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I haven't seen it on my R/T...But I had an issue on my 03 Avalanche...I had put on a hood deflector so my hood wouldn't get all pitted from sand in the roads and stuff...Well, it caused rust specs on my roof, right above the windshield...The dealer claimed it was because of the hood deflector...I told them the hood deflector was a GM part, and they were going to fix it...And they did...

If you look at your warrantee, you have a rust guarentee, not sure how many years, but it is usually like 7 years or so...If you see the dealer and show them, they should fix it...

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
I know my pontiac had a lifetime rust warranty... you really need to check the Dodge warranty to see what is covered. Where are the rust specks at on your car?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I have not seen any specs on mine...but I don't quite understand. Rust specs coming through the paint? Or tiny chips on the hood from rocks or whatnot that have started to rust?

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
And most people don't even ask about it. The dealer started to say some stuff that was covered under warranty, and I specifically asked about rust protection. It is important when you live somewhere where you get heavy snow.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
And most people don't even ask about it. The dealer started to say some stuff that was covered under warranty, and I specifically asked about rust protection. It is important when you live somewhere where you get heavy snow.

Ugg...I get heavy snow once in awhile...just got some last week! :(

·
Registered
61 Posts
I know what those specs are you are talking about. I have a white SXT and i have them all over. The dealer said they are Rail dust. It happends when build the cars and most cars have them its just easier to see on some then others, hence my white one. The dealer said to bring it in when the snow is gone and they will buff them out. If you take your finger nail you can scrape them off.

I did thought i had rust but come to find out one of the rear door weather strips was leaking down the rocker. the metal in the strip rusted but they said its normal and replaced it anyways. its because the metal is bare and shows thru.

I did though when i installed one of my rocker guards, nick the rocker so there is a little chip of paint out. i will get some touch up and fix it.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cruisin, that's exactly what I have, tiny surface rust "specks" that I can take out with my finger nail. They're all over my car. I should have been clearer, I don't have true body rust, these are more surface related spots. So I guess I'll just contact my dealer and have them buff them out. Not sure if these types of spots will ever go away, should I just live with it? Just that I've never had them on previous cars so quick. Thanks for everyone's input so far!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Chris talk to your dealer and see if he is willing to buff the specks off. I would show it to him now and get something in writing for the work to be done when the weather warms up. (Thats like May isn't it?) HEHEHE I used to live in Libertyville Il.

·
Registered
62 Posts
hmm, haven't noticed it on my car but the first thing I did when I bought it was brought it into work and power polished/glazed the outside. so I'm guessing that If I did have it I already fixed it.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Rail dust? Never heard of that, but glad its nothing to be overly concerned about!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Rail dust? Never heard of that, but glad its nothing to be overly concerned about!
Cars pickup "rail dust" when they are transported by train. It's little iron particles that come from the friction between the train wheels and the track. Since they are iron particles they will rust when exposed to the weather etc..

There are some acid based cleaners made specifically to remove rail dust but they can be expensive. If you want to do it yourself for less than $20 bucks and about 4 hours of your time, you can wash the car and then use one of those clay bar products to remove it safely.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Cars pickup "rail dust" when they are transported by train. It's little iron particles that come from the friction between the train wheels and the track. Since they are iron particles they will rust when exposed to the weather etc..

There are some acid based cleaners made specifically to remove rail dust but they can be expensive. If you want to do it yourself for less than $20 bucks and about 4 hours of your time, you can wash the car and then use one of those clay bar products to remove it safely.

Thanks for the info!!!!!!!

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Great info,..very helpfull, and some rep comeing your way.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Cruisin, that's exactly what I have, tiny surface rust "specks" that I can take out with my finger nail. They're all over my car. I should have been clearer, I don't have true body rust, these are more surface related spots. So I guess I'll just contact my dealer and have them buff them out. Not sure if these types of spots will ever go away, should I just live with it? Just that I've never had them on previous cars so quick. Thanks for everyone's input so far!
Hey Chris,

How often do you go through a car wash?? Does it happen to be touchless by any chance?

Let me know.

Paul

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hey Chris,

How often do you go through a car wash?? Does it happen to be touchless by any chance?

Let me know.

Paul
Okay, I guess nobody wants to know why I asked the car wash question.

It's simple, the waxes that are in solution at the car wash are designed to stick to the paint finish NO MATTER WHAT!! Hot weather, cold weather, salt spray, desert sun you name it. IF you get enough of these waxes on your vehicle they appear as little tiny specks of rust which are easily scratched off with your fingernail.

Take this little test....dab a soft cloth with a little bit of good quality car wax. Rub gently and if the spot magically disappears, it's car wash wax build-up. If it doesn't, grab some WD-40 (don't worry, it won't harm your paint in any way!!)and spray a bit on the spot and rub gently with a soft terrycloth wipe. If now it disappears, it's either road patch (Cold Patch is what they use here in Canada in winter and it's really sticky!!) or grease. If neither of these take care of the specks THEN you might have a rust issue. Don't sweat it until you've tried both of these tricks.

Paul

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Okay, I guess nobody wants to know why I asked the car wash question.

It's simple, the waxes that are in solution at the car wash are designed to stick to the paint finish NO MATTER WHAT!! Hot weather, cold weather, salt spray, desert sun you name it. IF you get enough of these waxes on your vehicle they appear as little tiny specks of rust which are easily scratched off with your fingernail.

Take this little test....dab a soft cloth with a little bit of good quality car wax. Rub gently and if the spot magically disappears, it's car wash wax build-up. If it doesn't, grab some WD-40 (don't worry, it won't harm your paint in any way!!)and spray a bit on the spot and rub gently with a soft terrycloth wipe. If now it disappears, it's either road patch (Cold Patch is what they use here in Canada in winter and it's really sticky!!) or grease. If neither of these take care of the specks THEN you might have a rust issue. Don't sweat it until you've tried both of these tricks.

Paul
Great info about that, thanks Paul!! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts