RWD / Electric Conversion!! Help!! | Dodge Avenger Forum

RWD / Electric Conversion!! Help!!

Discussion in 'Custom Dodge Avenger - Complete Builds' started by bcollenberg, May 24, 2018.

1. bcollenberg

bcollenberg New Member

Hello everyone

So I have a 2011 Dodge Avenger Mainstreet

The main point of this project is I love my car, and one day I want to fully make this race if not rally setup. I do wanna rally race one day. Also because I’m trying to save as much money as possibly while keeping my car so I decided to convert, as cheap as possible and my self, (if not mostly). The gas is still to costly for my commute, so it’s either say good bye :/

or make this work!

I’m thinking of possibly converting it too electric, as well as drop the engine possibly, and put the motor/driveline on the rear, making it rear wheel drive or keep the engine and some how figure a way to make them work together.

I don’t know much about fabrication, currently enrolled in welding school though then going to mechanic school.

My concern is everything

Cutting the chassis I presume to fit the new sub frame and motor, as well I’m thinking of cutting the center where the center console is to store a strip like battery pack.

Look up how the Teslonda was made and you’ll see.

As well as possibly swapping the suspension with “performance adjustable air suspension”

Haven’t looked into that much yet.

Basically looking for advise and if someone has pictures or blueprints on the chassis it’s self. Measurements would be amazing!

Thank you in advance!

Attached Files:

2. 5rebel9

5rebel9 Active Member Site Supporter Level 1 Military

Media:
    Albums:
    A LONNNGGG time ago there was someone who had gotten electric FWD connected, BUT had SEVERE ISSUES with it being hooked up to the auto trans for shifting points and such. Don't believe he EVER got it sorted.
    In my humble opinion leave yours alone and enjoy it for what it is. There is not a lot of parts out there for the Avengers to do any of what you are wishing for, much less "on the cheap". You will have so much undrivable time and money invested that even with the prices gas is getting to, that the gas and use of the vehicle would be LESS COSTLY.

3. bcollenberg

bcollenberg New Member

Ooo well then I’ll just take out engine/trans and only use the single gear “transmission” that’s in between the inverter and motor and make it only RWD

Secondly if I switch it to electric, do it my self eventually I’ll save money, I plan on keeping this for 10 years maybe plus if not become my race car, so the value kinda outways it self. But yaaa you have a point with the savings lol :p

4. 5rebel9

5rebel9 Active Member Site Supporter Level 1 Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, don't be such a stranger here and update what's going on with your major Mod's to your Avenger from time to time. Also would be nice to know whereabouts on planet Earth that you and your nice looking Avenger call home!:)

5. 4cefed

4cefed Member

Media:
    Albums:
    If I was to do it my recommendation would be to look at doing in wheel motors.

Mount them in the rear behind each wheel (or all 4 wheels) and be done with it, use the engine bay to store the batteries and other bits needed for the EV, find a few Solar panels to be able to trickle charge the car while driving / parked to help increase range.

Big challenge would be getting the steering / brakes / Air Con etc to all work like factory along with the gauges.

Would love the watch this project take shape.

Ben :)