Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just wondering how many of us on here have/own a scan tool and what kind?

Mine has helped me out a lot(toptak) and it wasn't that expensive at all. The best 40 dollars I spent.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I've got a $20 Autel unit, no frills, but it can read CANbus no problem along with VIN (not really a NEED, but kinda cool), so it suffices for my needs.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On a scale how do they rate?

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is no perfect scan tool. Each one does something better then the others. If you work on only one brand of car, the factory tool is best. If you work on many types of cars, a good aftermarket tool is your best solution.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
There is no perfect scan tool. Each one does something better then the others. If you work on only one brand of car, the factory tool is best. If you work on many types of cars, a good aftermarket tool is your best solution.

ok, I get that.

between your tools, if you were stranded on a desert island with your venge, which is the one tool you would choose to diagnose it with?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
ok, I get that.

between your tools, if you were stranded on a desert island with your venge, which is the one tool you would choose to diagnose it with?
Hopefully the one with a long-lasting battery! :p

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
If all I need was Dodge :
CHRYSLER DRB III DRB 3 DIAGNOSTIC SCAN TOOL

If I worked on multiple brands :

Snap On Tool Scanner Mt2500

with needed accesories

The trouble is a DRBIII will set you back $1k/$3k used if you can find a good one

The Snapons can be had for $200/$500 used and some with all the needed adapters

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
ok, I get that.

witech.. with a satellite internet connection haha

If all I need was Dodge :
CHRYSLER DRB III DRB 3 DIAGNOSTIC SCAN TOOL

If I worked on multiple brands :

Snap On Tool Scanner Mt2500

with needed accesories

The trouble is a DRBIII will set you back $1k/$3k used if you can find a good one

The Snapons can be had for $200/$500 used and some with all the needed adapters

problem with the DRBIII is chrysler started phasing it out around 2004. the 2007-current JS body uses a canbus which isn't supported by the DRB III. you need a starscan or witech.. witech can do both DRBIII and starscan. so i'm going with witech as my scantool of choice. (DRBIII also has SOME generic scan tool capabilities)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts