Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is not a myth. I finally finished the mods on my tail lights. Check my youtube video description for deeper details. In about a week I'll put up the other videos I took explaining stuff and doing some of the work. This was not an easy mod and I don't recommend trying it if you don't know what you are doing. It took months to figure out the first one and then this past weekend it took over 14 hours to do the other tail light.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Awesome results! but the effort needed to do it MUST have DRIVEN you to the first part of your username!

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
Very cool! Well worth all of your effort, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Awesome results! but the effort needed to do it MUST have DRIVEN you to the first part of your username!
I see what you did there...

Nutzsquirrel nice work!!!

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
You quoted me Tyrone, If your first statement is directed at me. Yeah my lame humor with a play on words! LOL
But Nutzsquirrel did a GREAT JOB!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone!! And 5rebel9, spot on with the Username joke haha! I am very happy with how they turned out and it was well worth the work I put into them. The one thing I am curious about is how they will handle the harsh cold of PA winters. I checked the temp ratings of the chip I used and the other components and they were about 0 Fahrenheit rated minimum so we'll see. Worst case the half ring wouldn't light for a day or so but the fulls wil always work as always

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
I would say come on up by me to test them, but we are getting NON TRADITIONAL weather by experiencing extreme (for us) heat!
We are south of Buffalo, NY and north of Olean NY, Can we all say COLD and SNOW boys and girls? LOL

·
Registered
16 Posts
So pretty! I'd love to do something similar, but I wonder about spinning the lights instead, similar to the loading wheel on iPhones... But this, very well done! Can't wait to see how you did it!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So pretty! I'd love to do something similar, but I wonder about spinning the lights instead, similar to the loading wheel on iPhones... But this, very well done! Can't wait to see how you did it!
With the existing circuit it would be crazy difficult. There are 6 LEDs on the half ring and 12 on the full ring and they are powered in series by 3's. 12V+ is applied to the positive end of each stack and the ground is controlled by either a voltage regulator, a transistor or a mosfet...no sure which one. You will see when I get my other videos up that I took away the voltage that controls this controlling component on the ground end of the half ring LED's. That let me control them when I wanted to.

If you wanted a separate LED effect for each light it would be easier to make an entire new circuit controlled by a programmable IC chip but you would have to integrate something to fool the car to not think the tail light isn't functioning. I managed to fool it's own circuit but to start from scratch it would take a lot more testing.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So how much to do mine if I send them to you? :)
I figured someone would ask eventually haha. I have perfected the process while doing the second tail light. The big thing is I don't know if there will be circuit issues in extreme temperatures. I mentioned in an earlier comment that the rating of the chip I used goes down to 0 Fahrenheit. So at below zero temps the half ring may not function at all, which really wouldn't cause an issue with the law because the full ring will still work properly. I am an innovator but until the circuits are fully tested I'm still the guinea pig. I can't willingly do the work if it isn't legit

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Well said, Don't know what part of Pa. you are in,but you are welcome to come up to just North of Olean NY(N.of Bradford Pa.) this winter for some REAL COLD weather testing! LOL

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well said, Don't know what part of Pa. you are in,but you are welcome to come up to just North of Olean NY(N.of Bradford Pa.) this winter for some REAL COLD weather testing! LOL
I near Pittsburgh, and we actually get some pretty cold weather down here

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
AW, You guys get cold only once in a BLUE MOON! TRY ALL season long! LOL
Your place isn't very cold either... Try living in the frozen tundra!

Reactions: 5rebel9

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
OKAY you got me! But NutzSquirrel is closer to me than you! You must either be on pain pills or are feeling some better....YOU are giving back my kind of HUMOR! LOL

·
Registered
179 Posts
I want this in my 2008 hmm $$

1 - 20 of 45 Posts