Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 avenger with a 2.4 L the alternator failed, and after replacing it along with the battery, it keeps throwing the Serpentine Belt. I have replaced the tensioner, and both pulleys. Everything is fine for approximately a month, then it throws the Belt. It seems to do it whenever I run though any standing water. The last time it happened, I was going through a car wash. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Do all of the pulleys line up perfectly? If they do, could need a new belt.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I know this may be a stupid question, but do you have the correct alternator? I was reading an article yesterday when someone was having an issue with swapping out alternator pulleys as the instructions showed he had an odd alternator with different pulley configurations. Come to find out the "aftermarket" parts supplier sold this owner a 2.4 alternator for his 3.6 Pentastar motor, the alternators do bolt up the same but the pulleys are slightly off and the pulley mounting is different......
I would make sure you were supplied with the correct alternator with the correct sized pulley....
OE numbers are:
4801323AD
or
4801477AA
I don't have exact specs but I'm assuming the difference between the numbers is amperage output.....

·
Premium Member
7,385 Posts
IF the wrong alternator, it should have been obvious by comarison. The 2.4 uses a decoupler pulley on the alternator that is very different is shape/look than the more common flat(serpentine) pulley of ALL other engine optioned Dodge/Chrysler products.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
An update, first thanks for the information and ideas. Replaced the belt again with a dayco high mileage belt, ran it for over a hour, without any issues. Sprayed some water on the belt, and it started walking off. Seems like it was walking from the crank pulley. Talked to a friend who owns a garage, he suggested a plate that is used on the v-6 pulley, since they have the same issue. Ordered one from dorman. Going to try it, ( not even sure it'll fit), if that doesn't correct it, going with a new pulley

1 - 5 of 5 Posts