Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Unfinished Project Man
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago I was surfing the internet and found a picture of a 5.7 challenger intake manifold that was "shaved". It had all the molding ribs sanded off and painted Hemi Orange. Has anyone else on this forum done something similar to their 3.6 intake manifold?

·
Unfinished Project Man
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Im on my ipad cant and post Picts. I'll try to post Picts of them soon. By the way they are not my Picts. They are courteous of google

·
Unfinished Project Man
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah i know you can shave the inside but I was wondering if anyone took the ridges and spines of the outside of the intake and made that part of it smooth

·
Registered
930 Posts
I'm headed to my garage to snap some pics of my other intake manifold. That's a lot to remove to get it to look smooth like the ones on the V8's

·
Unfinished Project Man
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey bignibb I dont have enough posts yet to answer your PM but thanks for that idea but as of now I'm not really looking for performance mods yet. Maybe in the spring/summer time if it's still around we might be able to try that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
A few days ago I was surfing the internet and found a picture of a 5.7 challenger intake manifold that was "shaved". It had all the molding ribs sanded off and painted Hemi Orange. Has anyone else on this forum done something similar to their 3.6 intake manifold?
Inside clean up, ported and polished.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Ya our engines are quite ugly under that big ol engine cover haha

·
Unfinished Project Man
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't really want to run an engine cover. Does the cover really have a useful purpose? Other than covering up the engine

·
Unfinished Project Man
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Engines are supposed to make noise! Lol why would you not want t hear it? Oh and what is that hole on the top of the manifold shown in biggnibbs picture?

·
Unfinished Project Man
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well it is time for this thread to officially get started.
My plan for my upcoming posts is to document and show how i go about "shaving" my intake manifold. I am looking to mimic what some MOPAR owners do to their 5.7 HEMIs, remove unnecessary plastic from the top of the manifold to make it smooth.

to this

And for me ill be starting with this

This may seem like a daunting task, but I'm going to take it slow and remove as little plastic as i need to.I purchased a used manifold off eBay so my car will have no down time. I did a test cut on one of the ribs two nights ago and a sanding drum on a Dremel tool eats the plastic like butter. SO speed on this project is not a priority.

·
Unfinished Project Man
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So far i have about half of the top ribs cut down and first stages of sanding it smooth. I actually found that using the sanding drum is not ideal for removing the ribs. As you might be able to see the sanding drum remove alot of material leaving slight divots in the top of the manifold.

Using a fine tooth hobby saw i had from doing plastic model planes a few years ago removal of the plastic was a breeze. I worked in small sections cutting down the middle of a rib, then at an angle to remove a triangle shaped piece. It will take longer but as i said i have no downtime for my vehicle.
Initial cuts with fine saw

1 - 20 of 86 Posts