Dodge Avenger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Unfinished Project Man
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Yeah I was thinking of something like that doing the wrinkle coating but I could not find one in local stores that would work with plastic. Most of them needed to be baked to cure the paint. The one you linked would be a good match since its made to restore bumper plastics and dash components on older cars. With that I might even wrinkle my K&N intake tube to be more low profile and not stand out as much.

·
Unfinished Project Man
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I have done some more work on the intake the past few days. I got the last of the ribs fully cut and sanded down in the small area. I just need to spot fill the area, prime and do more spot filling on the rest of the intake.
NEW INTAKE 026.jpg

NEW INTAKE 027.jpg

This is the side I have done the most filling in. When I first started this project I was using a Dremel with a rotary sanding drum. I had found that the drum would eat/ melt the plastic too quickly which resulted in large divots, To make things easier I just used a fine tooth saw for the rest of the ribs. Which worked out great.
NEW INTAKE 028.jpg

The three runners got filled in as well, I initially sanded with a piece of sand paper wrapped around a short length of PVC pipe so I could define the curve better.
NEW INTAKE 029.jpg

·
Unfinished Project Man
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I couldn’t get myself to cut up my original cover so I got a cheap one for a 3.6L challenger off Ebay. All I wanted out of it was the 3.6 L VVT so I could possibly put it on top of the intake to look almost like it could have come like that from the factory.
NEW INTAKE 022.jpg

NEW INTAKE 023.jpg

So once it was cut out I put it in a plastic box so I could make a rubber mold for it. I did that so if I mess up on placement or fitment I can make more. I just used Micro Mark 4-hour cure rtv mold rubber. It comes in part A and part B. Just mix them together and carefully pour into the mold to avoid air bubbles and wait the 4 hours to remove. It came out pretty well, only a few tiny bubbles on the sharp corners.
NEW INTAKE 024.jpg

Here is what I am thinking about doing with the 3.6L VVT. Let me know how it looks as a mock up or other places it could look good at.

NEW INTAKE 025.jpg

·
Unfinished Project Man
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Hey thanks man. I haven't had much time to work on it now that school started up again. Hopefully I can use my fluid mechanics class to help with the airflow and make it more efficient. Right now we're just doing the basics of pressure but farther in the course we go on to flow rate and efficencies.

·
Unfinished Project Man
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
image.jpeg

No updates on the manifold, Just a teaser to something I really look forward to doing once I finish the intake.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Are you putting it on top of the stock spoiler? Or are you going to take off the stock one?

·
Unfinished Project Man
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
To Intrepid : Maybe???? ;). I'm gonna try to cut and section it to fit the curve of our trunk lid. And maybe make duplicates out of fiberglass or something. I'm still trying to figure out how to do multiples. I might have to do a two molds( one top and one bottom ) then glue them together after.

·
Unfinished Project Man
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
spring break is upon me so I can now work on this project some more.
image.jpeg
I spread some bondo on the top of the manifold to level off the low spots.
image.jpeg
imsmoothed that out with 80grit sand paper on a long block then spot filled deep gouges on the main tube and places I missed with Bondo.
image.jpeg
Tomorrow I will spray some primer on it then do some more filling but I should be ready soon to start spraying the texture coat. Which thank you Intrepid for the link. I purchased a can off Summit Racing and might do a test spray to see what it looks like dried. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

And not related to the project are my posted pictures appearing very large to you guys, cause I'm posting the most recent pictures off my iPad mini and can't really tell how the pictures look when I'm typing a reply.

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
All GOOD thing take a LOT of GOOD WORK !!!

LOOKING FORWARD to seeing the final results on that power plant !!!

·
Unfinished Project Man
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Thanks rebel it's nearing the end I hope I just put the second coat of bondo on this afternoon. Boy does that stuff smell good. JK I decided to spread the stuff outside in my garage to have better airflow.
image.jpeg
But sanded it inside using 60 grit then 100 grit to remove the sanding marks from the 60.
image.jpeg

I did a test spray of the texture paint to see what it looks like. It's not what I expected, I thought it would be like a wrinkle finish but is more of a hammered texture. I forgot to get a picture of that but will be doing another test spray tomorrow to see if I get different results if the weather permits.

·
Unfinished Project Man
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I just recieved the lower intake manifold for the
project which will allow me to port the manifolds. I still have some sanding to do before paint can be sprayed. But now that spring semester is coming to an end I'll have more time to work on it.
image.jpeg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any updates on the intake? Would love to see finished product. Don't think I would have time to do that to mine, but I'm sure it would make for a cleaner looking engine bay.

·
Unfinished Project Man
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I'll admit I have not done much work on this since my last post. I am still waiting on funds to buy special style sanding accessories so I can port the inside.
I have started to degrease the lower intake. Using Simple Green, water from a hose and a tooth brush. I sprayed down the intake with water to knock of large contaminates then sprayed simple green on it and let it sit for a minute or so to do its job. Then I scrubbed the outside surface and runners with the tooth brush rinsing and re spraying SG occasionally. There still is some imbedded oils, but once I start sanding inside they will be removed.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I also plan to buy new injectors and to clean out the fuel rail. And maybe new spark plugs when the time comes to install the manifolds.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Any update on this? Im more curious on that spoiler fitment/look lol.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts