Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2008 Dodge Avenger that experienced the situation where I could not shift out of Park.

I did buy another shifter for the car, but started to look at the old one to see what actually broke and to see if I could come up with a fix for it.

This thread outlines what I did to fix the shifter.

What I found that actually broke on the shifter is a spring mount on a pink colored piece that is located on the left side (driver side) of the shifter (see BrokenShifter1.jpg). What this spring did is when the shifter handle is moved to the right so you can move in to RNDL, the spring would pull this pink plastic piece to disengage a lock so you can move the shifter handle in to gear.

What parts I needed to fix this was a 3/4 inch “S” hook and a spring (needs to be less than 1.5 inches and just be strong enough to move the pink piece) (see Parts.jpg). These pieces cost me no more that $2.00. You might not have to buy a new spring if you can find the old one. I suspect that it falls between the carpet and shifter mount/hump. Since I did not know what broke on my shifter, I did not know that I should have been looking for a spring until I had the car back together.

To get to the shifter I needed to:
1) Remove the chrome bezel around the shifter.
2) Remove the tray in front of the shifter
3) Pull back on the modeling piece that goes from both sides of the radio, down the dash to the console and around the shifter.
4) Remove the 6 bolts that hold the console down. 2 are in front where the tray was at and 4 are in the bottom of the storage compartment in the console
5) Unplug the electrical by the front mounting bolts.
6) Pull up on the emergency brake handle. The farther you pull it up the easier it is to get the console out.
7) Remove the console.
8) Remove the shifter handle. This just pulls straight up. It might take some force.
9) Remove the shifter gear indicator plate.

At this point you can decide to fix the shifter in the car or pull it out. To pull the shifter it just requires you to disconnect the 2 cables, disconnect the electrical on the right side and remove 4 mounting bolts.

Fixing the shifter
1) On the left side of the shifter locate this pink piece.
2) Drill a 3/32” hole in the top of the pink piece (see Drill.jpg).
3) Take your “S” hook and slightly close up the end that will be used for your spring mount. This will prevent the spring from accidentally slipping off the hook.
4) Put the spring on the “S” hook
5) Connect the spring to the back spring mount of the shifter.
6) Slide the “S” hook in the hole you drilled in the pink piece (see FixedShifter.jpg).

Done! Now you just need to put the car back together.

Estimate time to do this…30 to 40 minutes based on how co-operative the console will be.

I think that a small screw might also work in place of the “S” hook. If you use this, you might need a slightly longer spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the detailed description on how to fix this problem, my car is sitting at work right now because of this defect, am going to go with your fix it solution, will let you know of my progress.

·
Registered
23 Posts
well the S hook fixed the problem, went to the dealership and they were to backed up to even look at my car to tell me if it was covered under the warranty, they also showed me an avenger sitting in the lot waiting to be fixed for the same problem, well I went to the parts department to see if they had any in stock, they did, but it was the same cheap part that was already on it, no upgrade, sorry but my time is important to me and I don't have time for this kind of riff raff, so I went to Lowes and bought some 3/4 inch eye hooks, luckily I found the spring that was originally on it and didn't have to worry bout getting one of those, drilled a hole in the pink plastic, unbolted the 4 bolts and tilted the shifter so I could get the hook and spring in place, worked like a charm...a note to anyone who has to do this, you don't have to take the shifter completely out, but it does have to be tilted to get to the problem area. btw, I texted a friend of mine who also has an avenger, warned her of the problem, she texted back that hers had already broken last year, this should be a recall item, its not an if, but when.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Great job guys! I printed this out and I think I'm going to do this anyway. What a POS design. I would be really mad if I was in a hurry to go somewhere and had to deal with this all because Chrysler wanted to cheap out on some parts - I still can't believe that shifter assembly is plastic :shakehead:

·
Registered
555 Posts
So is this the same problem that has been plaguing some other owners? I can only imagine it is. Anyway, GREAT write up! Now, do you know if this will be the same for the autostick or if the autosticks even have this issue?

thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Took me about 30 minutes to fix mine, yet the dealer was quoting me a $300 repair bill to put the same cheap plastic part back on...got me thinking I'm in the wrong profession.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i just got my advenger se 4 mouths ago and last night it did the same thing to me i found the spring im glad i found this posts.

·
Registered
47 Posts
did your fixs make the pink finger behide the cup holder work right.i can push mine in and it does nothing.but it mite be the spring keeping it from working.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The fix does work. Where I am confused is when you say you are pushing the pink piece in. The pink piece on the driver side of the shifter moves front to back. If you are not able to manually move the piece there might be more wrong that just the spring tab broke. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
47 Posts
heres some pics of mine the s hook workes great easy fix just had to play with the spring a little but not bad better than $300.00 fix.i also show the mod number for the shifter.if anyone whats to buy one.:smileup:

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That pink leveler is a lock that is released when you press on the brake pedal. When you press the brake, it activates the solenoid to release it. To manually release it just need to lift it up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Stuck Shifter 2008 Avenger

Last night my wife called me to say the shifter was stuck in PARK. I drove out to see what was wrong. I called the local DODGE dealer and a one of the salesman told me he hadn't heard of this happening, but he had heard there was a way to push a button and get the shifter to move. I pulled the console apart and after some messing around found that if I pushed the pink lever back I could shift the car. When I got home I GOOGLED the problem and found this website where I learned (2) different ways of fixing the problem. I tried the extension spring 1st, but had problems getting the key to come out. I then drilled a hole in the pink lever, bent up a "S" hook and used the original spring. LIFE IS GOOD.
Thank You!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank You

your discription realy helped alot alot more than dodge did for me
I have a 2008 Dodge Avenger that experienced the situation where I could not shift out of Park.

I did buy another shifter for the car, but started to look at the old one to see what actually broke and to see if I could come up with a fix for it.

This thread outlines what I did to fix the shifter.

What I found that actually broke on the shifter is a spring mount on a pink colored piece that is located on the left side (driver side) of the shifter (see BrokenShifter1.jpg). What this spring did is when the shifter handle is moved to the right so you can move in to RNDL, the spring would pull this pink plastic piece to disengage a lock so you can move the shifter handle in to gear.

What parts I needed to fix this was a 3/4 inch “S” hook and a spring (needs to be less than 1.5 inches and just be strong enough to move the pink piece) (see Parts.jpg). These pieces cost me no more that $2.00. You might not have to buy a new spring if you can find the old one. I suspect that it falls between the carpet and shifter mount/hump. Since I did not know what broke on my shifter, I did not know that I should have been looking for a spring until I had the car back together.

To get to the shifter I needed to:
1) Remove the chrome bezel around the shifter.
2) Remove the tray in front of the shifter
3) Pull back on the modeling piece that goes from both sides of the radio, down the dash to the console and around the shifter.
4) Remove the 6 bolts that hold the console down. 2 are in front where the tray was at and 4 are in the bottom of the storage compartment in the console
5) Unplug the electrical by the front mounting bolts.
6) Pull up on the emergency brake handle. The farther you pull it up the easier it is to get the console out.
7) Remove the console.
8) Remove the shifter handle. This just pulls straight up. It might take some force.
9) Remove the shifter gear indicator plate.

At this point you can decide to fix the shifter in the car or pull it out. To pull the shifter it just requires you to disconnect the 2 cables, disconnect the electrical on the right side and remove 4 mounting bolts.

Fixing the shifter
1) On the left side of the shifter locate this pink piece.
2) Drill a 3/32” hole in the top of the pink piece (see Drill.jpg).
3) Take your “S” hook and slightly close up the end that will be used for your spring mount. This will prevent the spring from accidentally slipping off the hook.
4) Put the spring on the “S” hook
5) Connect the spring to the back spring mount of the shifter.
6) Slide the “S” hook in the hole you drilled in the pink piece (see FixedShifter.jpg).

Done! Now you just need to put the car back together.

Estimate time to do this…30 to 40 minutes based on how co-operative the console will be.

I think that a small screw might also work in place of the “S” hook. If you use this, you might need a slightly longer spring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am glad it is not just me .. I got in the car about an hour ago to take my 4 yo to the pool and it would not go into gear!! I have the 2008 R/T -- guess I will be waiting on hubby to wake this afternoon so he doesn't yell at me for doing something wrong! LOL Thank you for this post!!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Woot Woot!!!

Thank you SOOOOO much for this post. I successfully fixed my car myself! I was able to find my spring when I took off the console so it only cost me $1 for a packet of "s" hooks. I really could NOT afford a trip to the dealer especially since they would only put the same cheap part back on. It really was not all that hard to fix. Was really glad I only had to take off the plastic console and not touch the shifter or anything. Thanks again!! :smiley_thumbs_up: Oh and since I took the whole thing apart I am going to spray paint the chrome trim that goes around the shifter so that I do not get BLINDED by the sun. One of my pet peeves of the car. I live in Arizona after all and we have sun 360 days a year...

1 - 20 of 57 Posts