Dodge Avenger Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Got my recall notification about 6 months ago. I fixed mine using this procedure last year, worked great until about 3 months ago. Now its not releasing the key all the time when I put it in park. Have to wiggle the shifter. Thinking my spring has lost a wee bit of tension. I had to use a very stiff little spring, and even then I had to trim it down to get enough tension to get the interlock to release.

When it gets annoying I'll take it to the dealer and have them replace it under the recall!

·
Registered
1 Posts
hkgmillette: I think I speak for everyone here when I say, you are awesome! what an incredibly easy fix when you know what you're looking for! I called the dealer and they told me that the previous owner of my car had already had the recall done on it and since that was the case, I would have to pay efor it myself. Gave me a quote of around 2 to 250 bucks. Instead, it cost me 2.13 after tax! Thanks again for your help!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's been a LONG time since I've been on this forum, but my Avenger just had this problem. I wouldn't mind trying this fix, but my dad said he just wants to take it to the dealer. Oh well, his money to lose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Morning I have a 2013 avenger. Tried this fix but just got to go in neutral, also does anyone know how to get the center console coverings off?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Use a plastic pry tool to lift the chrome surround up. For the heater control just put your fingers in behind and give a stiff pull and it should come loose. This also applies to the radio surround. Once the heater control panel is off, then the catchall tray needs to be gently pried inward to get to the parts to fix the shifter. There is a pink piece that breaks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Like some here, I'm not that familiar with cars but I've been trying to learn. Last thing I did was replace my filler neck/radiator cap

https://imgur.com/a/i3v9w

I want to give this a shot as I've been driving with this issue for about a year now(pressing the pink clip to get out of park). I just don't want to ruin something and be out a transportation until I can fix my fix.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Like some here, I'm not that familiar with cars but I've been trying to learn. Last thing I did was replace my filler neck/radiator cap

https://imgur.com/a/i3v9w

I want to give this a shot as I've been driving with this issue for about a year now(pressing the pink clip to get out of park). I just don't want to ruin something and be out a transportation until I can fix my fix.
Don’t worry, it’s an easy job. The hardest part is remembering to reconnect the electrical connectors when you put the center console back on.

Here’s my thread showing the part and part # they used in the recall. Worked like a charm on our ‘08 sebring. https://www.avengerforumz.com/threads/shift-interlock-lever-replacement.59502/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank You

your discription realy helped alot alot more than dodge did for me
I am having the opposite issue my 2008 avenger 2.4L has problems shifting into park..it actually does shift into park but it doesnt show on the dash (PRND) when i shift into park the square doesnt show around the P (and my car will not start until it does) i have to play with the shifter like jiggle it alot etc... eventually the square will show up around the P. sometimes it takes seconds of jiggling and moving sometimes minutes.....any idea's??

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2008 Dodge Avenger that experienced the situation where I could not shift out of Park.

I did buy another shifter for the car, but started to look at the old one to see what actually broke and to see if I could come up with a fix for it.

This thread outlines what I did to fix the shifter.

What I found that actually broke on the shifter is a spring mount on a pink colored piece that is located on the left side (driver side) of the shifter (see BrokenShifter1.jpg). What this spring did is when the shifter handle is moved to the right so you can move in to RNDL, the spring would pull this pink plastic piece to disengage a lock so you can move the shifter handle in to gear.

What parts I needed to fix this was a 3/4 inch “S” hook and a spring (needs to be less than 1.5 inches and just be strong enough to move the pink piece) (see Parts.jpg). These pieces cost me no more that $2.00. You might not have to buy a new spring if you can find the old one. I suspect that it falls between the carpet and shifter mount/hump. Since I did not know what broke on my shifter, I did not know that I should have been looking for a spring until I had the car back together.

To get to the shifter I needed to:
1) Remove the chrome bezel around the shifter.
2) Remove the tray in front of the shifter
3) Pull back on the modeling piece that goes from both sides of the radio, down the dash to the console and around the shifter.
4) Remove the 6 bolts that hold the console down. 2 are in front where the tray was at and 4 are in the bottom of the storage compartment in the console
5) Unplug the electrical by the front mounting bolts.
6) Pull up on the emergency brake handle. The farther you pull it up the easier it is to get the console out.
7) Remove the console.
8) Remove the shifter handle. This just pulls straight up. It might take some force.
9) Remove the shifter gear indicator plate.

At this point you can decide to fix the shifter in the car or pull it out. To pull the shifter it just requires you to disconnect the 2 cables, disconnect the electrical on the right side and remove 4 mounting bolts.

Fixing the shifter
1) On the left side of the shifter locate this pink piece.
2) Drill a 3/32” hole in the top of the pink piece (see Drill.jpg).
3) Take your “S” hook and slightly close up the end that will be used for your spring mount. This will prevent the spring from accidentally slipping off the hook.
4) Put the spring on the “S” hook
5) Connect the spring to the back spring mount of the shifter.
6) Slide the “S” hook in the hole you drilled in the pink piece (see FixedShifter.jpg).

Done! Now you just need to put the car back together.

Estimate time to do this…30 to 40 minutes based on how co-operative the console will be.

I think that a small screw might also work in place of the “S” hook. If you use this, you might need a slightly longer spring.
I am having the opposite issue my 2008 avenger 2.4L has problems shifting into park..it actually does shift into park but it doesnt show on the dash (PRND) when i shift into park the square doesnt show around the P (and my car will not start until it does) i have to play with the shifter like jiggle it alot etc... eventually the square will show up around the P. sometimes it takes seconds of jiggling and moving sometimes minutes.....any idea's??

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
same thing just slightly different result. ...MANY posts and answers to this....Worn cable connector to the trans shift rod out on the transmission along with a probably binding rod that goes into the trans. Good chance a replacement end connector and spraying a good penetrating oil like PB Blaster at the rod where it goes into the transmission will do the trick for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
same thing just slightly different result. ...MANY posts and answers to this....Worn cable connector to the trans shift rod out on the transmission along with a probably binding rod that goes into the trans. Good chance a replacement end connector and spraying a good penetrating oil like PB Blaster at the rod where it goes into the transmission will do the trick for you.
Thank you!

41 - 57 of 57 Posts