Dodge Avenger Forum banner

Silicone hoses?

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  John316 
#1 ·
Having read about blown turbo hoses I was wondering, does anybody make a kit? Water and turbo would be good really, seems a shame not to have a matching set. I used to work in the industry making the hoses a good few years back now but a search on the web hasn't thrown up any obvious results.

#2 ·
This topic came up on another board and it was made very clear by a person in the diesel repair industry that the hoses on the turbo have to be of a very stringent makeup. Anything less would leave the possibility of a blown turbo and possibly engine. He has seen both and recommends sticking with either factory hoses or ones that meet factory spec.

#3 ·
From experience (gained within the industry) silicone hoses, if manufactured correctly using quality materials, will far out perform factory hoses. We tried to get some of ours burst tested but could not get anybody willing to take them far enough to find the burst pressure. They got up to 24,000psi using a hydraulic rig and wussed out. I would have far more confidence in a silicone hose (not made in China or Asia) than any factory hose to be honest.

Sadly I no longer have the contacts at Samco or SFS.

#4 ·
I have used auto silicone hoses (www.autosiliconehoses.com ) before and found their products to be of good quality. They are based in West Yorkshire and their phone no is 0844 8005199. They do a large variety of sizes and colours and clips as well . You can buy from the web site and they will post out to you.

#5 ·
Did I notice you have a silicone turbo hose on yours? If so, would you remember what you had to order, sizes etc? I need to look under the hood to see what's what yet really. What started off as a cheap family car has all of a sudden bit me and I now find myself going back in time to younger days of wanting to mod the nuts off this thing!

#6 ·
Did I notice you have a silicone turbo hose on yours? If so, would you remember what you had to order, sizes etc? I need to look under the hood to see what's what yet really. What started off as a cheap family car has all of a sudden bit me and I now find myself going back in time to younger days of wanting to mod the nuts off this thing!
Hi Mike
Yes I do have a silicone turbo hose on mine. I had to make it up using a 45 degree pipe , a straight pipe , joiner, and a connector to the turbo plus clips. I can't remember the sizes offhand , I think they were a 54 mm bore but I'll check the paperwork and get back to you with definite sizes and part numbers.

#7 ·
That would be awesome Rich, thanks. I have been under the bonnet this afternoon and having had a poke about at hoses I must say I am not at all impressed by the wall thickness of the turbo hose. I think this will be done as more of a matter of urgency than I first thought. I blew a hose on my Mitsibushi years back and it caused me a lot of grief, just not worth the risk IMO especially for the relatively small cost. I had a look at the radiator hoses as well, they seem pretty straight forward. I will have a hunt about and see what I can find from other cars. The question is do I go for subtle black, contrasting blue or red to go with the paint..... hmmm

#8 ·
Hi Mike
Here is a parts list for you

VW TDi FSiT Alloy bayonet boost hose intercooler hose coupler
Part no 150802992992
www.creationsmotorsport.com

1 metre length silicone straight hose pipe 54mm inner bore ( 15 colours I chose red )
Part code 170733551715
www.apmotorstore.co.uk
I bought this piece from here because it was about £10 cheaper than auto silicone hoses for the same part, weird or what ? They only sell straight hose in minimum 1 metre length

Silicone polyester reinforced hose 54mm inner bore 45 degree elbow( 15 colours available)
Part no (red hose ) P SSE 045 054 R
Custom Alloy straight hose joiner 51mm diameter with beaded ends Pipe length 100mm
Part no AHJ 100 051
www.autosiliconehoses.com 0844 800 5199
You will also need 4 hose clips to go over 64mm outer diameter bearing in mind that the thickness of the walls are 5mm. Auto silicone hoses sell different types all comes down to personal preference which ones you get. Just remember that they must tighten up very tight or the hose will blow off the joiners.
You may want to consider buying a roll of silicone repair tape to wrap around the ends of the joiners as it will give the hoses a better grip. It also comes in handy for any emergency repairs on any hoses. Only costs about £5 a roll very handy to keep in the tool box.
Hope this is of some help to you. :smileup:

Reactions: John316
#10 ·
Hi Mike
Here is a parts list for you

VW TDi FSiT Alloy bayonet boost hose intercooler hose coupler
Part no 150802992992
www.creationsmotorsport.com

1 metre length silicone straight hose pipe 54mm inner bore ( 15 colours I chose red )
Part code 170733551715
www.apmotorstore.co.uk
I bought this piece from here because it was about £10 cheaper than auto silicone hoses for the same part, weird or what ? They only sell straight hose in minimum 1 metre length

Silicone polyester reinforced hose 54mm inner bore 45 degree elbow( 15 colours available)
Part no (red hose ) P SSE 045 054 R
Custom Alloy straight hose joiner 51mm diameter with beaded ends Pipe length 100mm
Part no AHJ 100 051
www.autosiliconehoses.com 0844 800 5199
You will also need 4 hose clips to go over 64mm outer diameter bearing in mind that the thickness of the walls are 5mm. Auto silicone hoses sell different types all comes down to personal preference which ones you get. Just remember that they must tighten up very tight or the hose will blow off the joiners.
You may want to consider buying a roll of silicone repair tape to wrap around the ends of the joiners as it will give the hoses a better grip. It also comes in handy for any emergency repairs on any hoses. Only costs about £5 a roll very handy to keep in the tool box.
Hope this is of some help to you. :smileup:
Old thread I know but its the only info I can find

Couple of things I am struggling with trying to understand and get the correct parts.
What size is the bayonet coupler? Ebay shows many differing sizes
Why is the straight joiner 51mm when the hose is 54mm diameter?
Are all hoses 5mm thick?
I see some posts saying 1M straight piece and others saying 500mm. Not looked at or measured mine so unsure what to buy.

#12 ·
Sorry, can't help with this one. I toyed with the idea of Si hoses many years ago but the lack of a tried and trusted kit put me off. Hope you find what you need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.