Dodge Avenger Forum banner

Slow coolant loss no visible leak help

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Kamdaddypurp 
#1 ·
2.4 engine coolant loss. There isn’t a visible leak I did a combustion gas check with the radiator to see if there were gases in the cooing system. The fluid didn’t change color so I’m pretty sure the head gasket is fine. I’ve read a lot of posts about the thermostat housing is that a good chance that is the cause for my coolant loss no coolant on the ground though. I don’t have the tool to be able to put pressure on the cooling system to help find a leak so I’m just seeing people’s opinions.

#2 ·
Could just be a bad rad cap allowing slow coolant loss while you're driving.

#3 ·
I had a 2.4 that lost coolant, at varying rates for about a year. Never a lot at once and never saw any coolant on the ground. Changed the rad cap and it seemed better for a short period then went back to losing fluid again. Fast forward a couple months and it started overheating. So I bought a new tstat housing with new tstats. When I removed the old housing, the rubber gasket that seals the tstat housing close to the front of the car was damaged. I'm assuming this was the source of the leak.
After the housing replacement I have not lost any fluid. It's been about a month and a half now.

#5 ·
I had a 2.4 that lost coolant, at varying rates for about a year. Never a lot at once and never saw any coolant on the ground. Changed the rad cap and it seemed better for a short period then went back to losing fluid again. Fast forward a couple months and it started overheating. So I bought a new tstat housing with new tstats. When I removed the old housing, the rubber gasket that seals the tstat housing close to the front of the car was damaged. I'm assuming this was the source of the leak.
After the housing replacement I have not lost any fluid. It's been about a month and a half now.
[/QU
Yeah a couple people have been saying to replace that now
yeah I saw a few people say the same thing I’ll probably give that a go here in a little bit it doesn’t look like a complicated process couple bolts and back on just weird that the fluid gets low you would think you’d see it around the thermostat housing.

#6 ·
I went to my own personal mechanic and they said she was as dry as can be. So then I did find one little leak because I finally got a pressure pump and thought I got it so I went to dodge and told them everything but asked them to do tests before they flushed and refilled. And they told me everything was good but I’m still slowly losing coolant with no visible leak and I did a head gasket test the gasket is good idk what to do lol. People keep saying tstat housing but wouldn’t I see the leak.

#7 ·
Hey kamdaddypurp Bad thing about t stat housing is the heat ok poly but bolts to engine also can leak in back VERY small crack only open in summer heat ya I know I'm in Fla but this wouldnot show up on cold pressure test most tests are done cold try this powder over top and back (flour cornstarch etc) ya but works, 300c440p6 300c=68

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.