Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just brought a 2008 SXT with 4,350 miles on it. Got the factory warranty a $400 discount and the $1,000 rebate. Drove it home and was parked in the shopping mall and heard a rattling sound I thought maybe it was the car next to mine.

Got home still heard the noise and it's coming from the muffler. I also notice the idle was a little ruff and the temp gauge is just above the middle mark and it's only been 20 minutes and 2 miles driven. So I took the car back to the dealer.

They tell me it needs a new muffler so they replace it and the clamps and far as the rough idle they updated the computer per Chrysler..

Also on the way to the dealer I can hear the wind coming in through the rear right side passenger vent. So they said they adjusted the door.

Had to leave th car over night.

So I pick the car up last night and driving home I can still hear the wind, the idle is still rough and the noise from the muffler is still there not as loud but like a bubbling metallic sound.

I am so mad right now.. Did not even have it a day to enjoy it...

I calling the dealer as soon as they open and telling him either he's giving me another car or they can take it back.

Talk about killing a new car buzz!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Yea i would so take it back or get a full refund!!!!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
If you can get them to take it back, I would. If not you should at least get them to fix it and get a loaner while your out of a car if you can. Good luck!!

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
Yeah, I would make them fix it. I don't think they can just take it back, but I am not sure. Was it used? Was it involved in an accident? Did they tell you anything about the car? I would find out as much about that car as possible.

One dealer told me an old lady owed this charger my wife and I were looking at, and I look at the carfax history report, and it was a rental. I was mad at the dealer for lying to me. You might want to get a carfax on it, and maybe argue that they did not fully inform you of the history of the car. That is what I would do.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Wow, on the 2nd of this month you loved this car (read your intro). Between then and now you have only driven the car a total of 20min's and 2 miles. Now you have all these problems within 20min's of taking the car and driving only 2 miles with it. If the car is acting up this bad, than yes take it back.

·
Registered
565 Posts
insulation in drivers door

I've had my car in to the dealer 3 times now to fix the foam in the drivers door. When I open it, it would pop.

The original dealer I bought it from fixed it when they tried to install my remote start

the dealer that did install my remote start fixed it again at the time of the remote start install.

the same dealer that installed my remote start fixed it again when I picked up my dakota from them when they did some recall work.

- Dan M

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I've had my car in to the dealer 3 times now to fix the foam in the drivers door. When I open it, it would pop.

The original dealer I bought it from fixed it when they tried to install my remote start

the dealer that did install my remote start fixed it again at the time of the remote start install.

the same dealer that installed my remote start fixed it again when I picked up my dakota from them when they did some recall work.

- Dan M

Foam? What is this "pop" you speak of? Any pictures?

I only ask because I've had to have my entire drivers door replaced and now there is what sounds like a speaker wire rattling around in there, but maybe its something else. Or maybe the place that fixed it didn't fix it correctly and left out some of this "foam".

·
Registered
565 Posts
no pictures. it would only happen when i opened the door, it would make a pop sound. really hard to compare the sound to something else, it was not a rattle.

maybe they did not put insulation back in it. If it happens again, i'll see if can get pix of it.

- Dan M

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts

- Dan M
You are the fourth person I've heard this from. I understand its a first yr model, but some people have a long list of little problems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: Went back to the dealer and it seems the tech did not tighten the bolts tight enough so the rattling is gone now. The idle is still rough. It feels like sometimes it is about to stall there is that slight shaking feeling. They checked for codes and found nothing. I'll wait and see. I ran a carfax report came up empty. I check for recalls on my VIN it came back negative.

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
Glad to hear they fixed the rattling. So did you buy the car new, or used? If you bought it new, was it a demo car? Just wondering.

·
Registered
65 Posts
That is terrible to happen. I feel very lucky to have had no problems with my Avenger. I have read other places about the little problems, and the trouble people are having getting the dealer to fix it:mad:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Every review I have read has said the 2.4 and 2.7 sound a little loud and a little rough. It has to do with the way they tune the sound to flow outside the car. It almost seems as though they used a different exhaust than on the Sebring, which seems to lack that complaint.

The R/T doesn't seem to have this issue, probably because they use a different exhaust layout. I would consider it a problem on the SE/SXT if I had any intention of leaving my exhaust stock. But even owning an R/T I'm checking Magnaflow's website every week with glee hoping to see a new cannon listed. If enough people send them emails, they'll probably make one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glad to hear they fixed the rattling. So did you buy the car new, or used? If you bought it new, was it a demo car? Just wondering.
Well I guess you can say it was a demo car. The dealership manager was using to go from dealer site to site and home. They gave it to me with the full manufacturer warranty, plus the rebate, a $400 discount because it had 4,531 miles on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Every review I have read has said the 2.4 and 2.7 sound a little loud and a little rough. It has to do with the way they tune the sound to flow outside the car. It almost seems as though they used a different exhaust than on the Sebring, which seems to lack that complaint.

The R/T doesn't seem to have this issue, probably because they use a different exhaust layout. I would consider it a problem on the SE/SXT if I had any intention of leaving my exhaust stock. But even owning an R/T I'm checking Magnaflow's website every week with glee hoping to see a new cannon listed. If enough people send them emails, they'll probably make one.
Interesting, thanks for the info Avenged. I think I will have to send them an email as well.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well I guess you can say it was a demo car. The dealership manager was using to go from dealer site to site and home. They gave it to me with the full manufacturer warranty, plus the rebate, a $400 discount because it had 4,531 miles on it.
Since it still has the original manufacturer warranty in effect and its under the mileage/length of time owned restrictions you still have recourse under the lemon law. I'd keep after the dealer to fix the problems you have but if they don't seem sufficiently motivated, perhaps drop a hint or two that you are aware of your rights and will pursue all options available to you.

Normally, I wouldn't push it since the deal you generally get on a "demo" car would make it slightly cost prohibitive to have them buy the vehicle back and put you in a new one. In this case tho, no offense meant but the $400 deal you got on a car with 4500+miles is not that great. I would probably try and negotiate a much better price at this point or start dropping it off to to get your documentation lined up for the lemon law route.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
I agree with krichek.
$400 off for 4531 miles is only like 9 cents per mile. That's not much of a discount.:(

·
Registered
68 Posts
The dealer still pays for a "demo" as if it was new on their floor plan and factory sheets, the money they can give you off on the demo only is the "hold back" money and it is the only time they will negotiate that money but it is typically $1000 - $1500 depending on model and how long it was on their inventory. SO yes you got a bad deal for a demo!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts