Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2009 2.4 Avenger about a month ago from a lady thats owned it new and drove it back and forth to the steel mill everyday. The car to me had seemed to run fine until a week ago i backed out of my drive and got about 100ft when the engine light came on and the car spit and sputtered wouldn't go over 30 and died at the stop. Hooked the scanner up came up crank sensor and multiple misfire. After 2 crank sensors and the cam sensor the car ran fine no light for about 20 miles then the same thing all over again the engine light then started flashing which put the car in limp mode. I have now also replaced all 4 plugs and coils to each one and both air filters to NO AVAIL..car starts great and runs good for about 15 seconds then either bogs down and runs horribly rough or just dies scanner only reads multiple misfire now....i don't know what to do now can someone PLEASE PLEASE help me figure this out?! Anything would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Could be your throttle body needs to be replaced. How many miles on the car? Did the previous owner have the car serviced regularly? How old is the battery?

·
Registered
242 Posts
As Intrepid said sounds like throttle body as appears its when the car gets hot, could also be the accelerator position sensor, both are fairly easy to rectify and not super expensive.

Also to throw a long shot sounds like the problem that we were having with a Hyundai we had at work, would be fine but after 30-40km of driving would go into fits of not wanting to drive / stalling, ended up being the EGR valve was sticking open, but unable to get a clear answer how the PVEZ system works / if your car has one? The codes it was throwing didn't indicate this but once everything else had been eliminated it was the only possible thing it could be and stopped doing it once we rectified this.

Let us know what the solution is when you find it:)

Ben :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could be your throttle body needs to be replaced. How many miles on the car? Did the previous owner have the car serviced regularly? How old is the battery?
Yes serviced regularly have many receipts. The car has 95000miles and brand brew battery and alternator

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As Intrepid said sounds like throttle body as appears its when the car gets hot, could also be the accelerator position sensor, both are fairly easy to rectify and not super expensive.

Also to throw a long shot sounds like the problem that we were having with a Hyundai we had at work, would be fine but after 30-40km of driving would go into fits of not wanting to drive / stalling, ended up being the EGR valve was sticking open, but unable to get a clear answer how the PVEZ system works / if your car has one? The codes it was throwing didn't indicate this but once everything else had been eliminated it was the only possible thing it could be and stopped doing it

Also to throw a long shot sounds like the problem that we were having with a Hyundai we had at work, would be fine but after 30-40km of driving would go into fits of not wanting to drive / stalling, ended up being the EGR valve was sticking open, but unable to get a clear answer how the PVEZ system works / if your car has one? The codes it was throwing didn't indicate this but once everything else had been eliminated it was the only possible thing it could be and stopped doing it once we rectified this.

Let us know what the solution is when you find it:)

Thank you both so much for your help. Hooked up to a shmancy scanner wouldn't give me a code for the throttle body and accelerator position sensor?

·
Registered
242 Posts
It wont always throw a code when it happens as the car "fixes" itself on the next start up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It wont always throw a code when it happens as the car "fixes" itself on the next start up.

Ook im learning so much thank you lol I as a kid was my dad's right hand "man" for fixing cars however we've evolved so far from carburetors and distributor caps I have no clue where to begin anymore. Is there a way I can test either component to see if they are malfunctioning?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hi eveyone, so thanks for all the input to try and help with my Avenger. Unfortunately, I took it to the shop today and found the computer to be bad. My question now is can i just buy one online as long as the same yr/make/model? Does it get programmed before its installed or after? Would a plug and play be an option? Can my old one be refurbished? Where can i find one less expensive than the dealer?
Again, thanks to everyone with any good words of wisdom and or advice!
Also,sorry, altho i am under the impression the blower motor is new, when i turned the heat on to take to the shop this morning it killed the car. Could a bad blower motor be causing the codes, check engine light, horrible misfire ,engine shake or the computer to be bad?

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts
Find another shop! Computer fault codes are set when the check eng. light comes on. Search the forum here for the "Key Dance" that you can do to get them through the odometer. They are the basic codes, but if you post them here, we may be able to offer more help. Also beginning to suspect a fuel pump or bad gas from what you have described, a fuel pump would not throw it's own code, but could throw the misfire code. Also a shop that uses a scanner that gives live data of what the motor and computer are running on would help track down a component problem faster and less costly than throwing in parts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The
Hi eveyone, so thanks for all the input to try and help with my Avenger. Unfortunately, I took it to the shop today and found the computer to be bad. My question now is can i just buy one online as long as the same yr/make/model? Does it get programmed before its installed or after? Would a plug and play be an option? Can my old one be refurbished? Where can i find one less expensive than the dealer?
Again, thanks to everyone with any good words of wisdom and or advice!
Also,sorry, altho i am under the impression the blower motor is new, when i turned the heat on to take to the shop this morning it killed the car. Could a bad blower motor be causing the codes, check engine light, horrible misfire ,engine shake or the computer to be bad?
Dodge avenger has problems with the computer alot mine 2014 wont hook up to e check it said no link nnew fuse an new fuse box tried hard reset an alot other things an it came down to the computer haven't changed it yet but soon as i get the extra cash ill get it ✔

1 - 10 of 10 Posts