Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know when the last time the spark plugs have been changed in my 2010 SXT, if ever so I'm thinking it might be time but I had a couple questions first. What are some of the symptoms of spark plugs going bad specifically in the Avengers? My red lightning bolt light (ETC I believe) comes on occasionaly now even after a good seafoam cleaning. Would new one's help that out at all? I hate this engine limp mode crap.. And I've looked around on the site and have seen that the dealer is the best place to buy plugs. Is this true? What kind do you guys have and what are the best?

·
Premium Member
6,301 Posts
Unless you're getting misfiring(that is quite obvious to tell), I doubt spark plugs are the source of the ETC warning light. If I remember right, you've had some problems in the past? maybe you could refresh our memory with what you have had and done about it.
As for spark plug maint. generally 100K miles they definitely need to be changed. EASY to do on the 2.4 motor.
IF you have no other engine symptoms, the 2.4 motor was known for the ETC/throttle body to wear out the drive gears that open and close that big round plate in the throttle body, and why people say to clean it. Sometimes the cleaning comes too late and replacement is the next step.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At 133k I think I should definitely get on the spark plugs considering I don't know if they've ever been done or not.. what kind of plugs should I get? As for the ETC it started to come on once I started filling up at a Shell station this January (I usually go Irving but i got gas cards during the holidays) so I thought it was just bad gas. I used some seafoom tank cleaner as you guys recommended which helped. I've since been filling up at an Irving station where it's been fine for a while, but just today it came back on. I plan on buying more throttle body spray cleaner since I misplaced the last one I got. I didn't get to it the first time however because one of the bolts from the intake to the throttle body was in a very inconvenient place and unreachable as it got twisted around somehow. I could provide some pictures tomorrow if they're needed I suppose. Once I get into the throttle body would I be able to tell whether a cleaning would suffice or if I need to replace it?

Way back in August the ETC came on but it went away when I got the transmission filter and fluid flushed and changed.

·
Premium Member
6,301 Posts
As for what spark plugs to get...GET Original equipment spec. It should be listed on a sticker spec plate in the engine bay. DO NOT go for the "special plugs", MOPARS just seem to run best on what Dodge designed them with.
To do a proper cleaning, you need to remove the throttle body to clean both sides of it. And NO visually you won't "see" if it needs to be replaced. The gear drive is in a sealed case on the side the wiring plugs into. Those gears wear and even break teeth, causing erratic movement of the throttle body air plate which in turn causes the light to come on in the dash. Cleaning makes sure that the crud that definitely forms in that plate area does not contribute to the faster demise of those gears.If you've got 133k miles showing on the clock...you've been good but DUE to replace the TB from the info you've posted.
Best place to get spark plugs and even the TB is to check out rockauto.com, very user friendly layout site with good prices.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As for what spark plugs to get...GET Original equipment spec. It should be listed on a sticker spec plate in the engine bay. DO NOT go for the "special plugs", MOPARS just seem to run best on what Dodge designed them with.
To do a proper cleaning, you need to remove the throttle body to clean both sides of it. And NO visually you won't "see" if it needs to be replaced. The gear drive is in a sealed case on the side the wiring plugs into. Those gears wear and even break teeth, causing erratic movement of the throttle body air plate which in turn causes the light to come on in the dash. Cleaning makes sure that the crud that definitely forms in that plate area does not contribute to the faster demise of those gears.If you've got 133k miles showing on the clock...you've been good but DUE to replace the TB from the info you've posted.
Best place to get spark plugs and even the TB is to check out rockauto.com, very user friendly layout site with good prices.
Thanks for the info! So at this point it's not even worth trying to clean the throttle body is what you're saying?

·
Premium Member
6,301 Posts
Thanks for the info! So at this point it's not even worth trying to clean the throttle body is what you're saying?
IF the bank account is that tight...GET new spark plugs and do a proper cleaning of the throttle body(REMOVE,clean, reinstall) and see how it works for you. BUT be prepared to get a new TB if the light continues to come on. LIMP MODE is what the computer puts the car into because of such faults and some other drastic engine or trans. code problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts