Spiffing up our Avenger

Discussion in 'Dodge Avenger Knowledge Base' started by 5rebel9, Apr 21, 2016.

1. 5rebel9

5rebel9 Active Member Site Supporter Level 1 Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Now that it is no longer "in service" going to start taking care of some minor issues it has had since purchase.Does anyone know the type of plastic used in manufacture of the bumper fascia's (covers)? I was at a body shop with another family vehicle and mentioned about our 98 avenger having a rip in it that I would like to "heal" . Said for best result would need to see it and then could tell me as there are a couple of compositions that were used. Well needless to say schedules could not mesh. It is a Yellow ,solid plastic of about 3/16" thickness. Thank in advance for any response.

2. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    Well to finish this OLD thread of mine...
    After MANY delays in "spiffing" up our Avenger, I Finally found a readily available 2 part Epoxy that is for automotive plastics. It is JB WELD Plastic bonder. Application is a little awkward if one has the cover still mounted, but with good planning and preparation to hold things together while the epoxy cures, I had GREAT results! No more unsightly rip that was sagging the lower rear corner out and looking like trash. Yes I have to do some light, careful sanding to smooth the slight bead that came through the ripped area and touch up paint it. But for a 19 yr old ride..right now looks 99.5% better!

3. Tyrone23

Tyrone23 Member

Media:
    "Pics or it didn't happen"

5rebel9 likes this.
  4. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    You KNOW how bad I am at even doing links...You think I can take pics and post them??? My son took the pics and posted my existing media for me!...LOL

I will see if I can get him to "help me out again.. When he gets home from Graduation practice today. Of course I can only have pics of the "SEMI-FINISHED" repair,the epoxy line SHOULD show in a pic.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  5. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    OKAY all here are the pics..REMEMBER this is mid stage to completing the job. sanding and paint touch up is needed!
    Also note that the majority of the rip is underneath the car and can not be seen when all four wheels are on the ground(it is up on my ramps for the photo shoot).

Attached Files:

Tyrone23 likes this.
  6. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    So there...It DID Happen..LOL:D
    Now to get decent dry weather again and some time to FINISH the process!:rolleyes:

7. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    Well it has been almost a month..weather and schedules have not allowed for finish sanding and touch up paint ...YET
    BUT I did wire brush(drill motor) the corrosion and flaking paint from the rims, and repaint them. I used gray primer and silver color spray paint. once things had just about totally dried I sprayed them with 2 light coats of clear spray.
    The end results were JUST as I wanted, A nice OE looking Gunmetal color! Not the sick looking silver or dull gray looking either. Only a CLOSE scrutiny of the rims show the imperfections from the pitting of corrosion, For a guy that does not like to do body/paint work, I think they came out quite nicely.
    Pic's of the finished project will come in a few days, as my resident photographer and computer "know it all" (SON) is away to see his GF and then has to work tomorrow and Mon.
    Just one more "spiff up" of the GEM!

8. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    OKAY, pic's have been taken and downloaded to our PC...Lets see if I can bring them to this thread!..LOL
    They are NOT perfectly done, BUT for 20 year old rims..They look a WHOLE LOT BETTER than the BEFORE condition!
    Also for those "in the know"..I goofed up in maintaining the O.E. Design by painting the outer bead lip area, was supposed to have the shiny aluminum finish there!

EDIT: To be HONEST..I was TOO ASHAMED at how bad the "BEFORE" condition looked to even post a picture of them!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    bhawk509, John316 and Tyrone23 like this.
  9. Tyrone23

Tyrone23 Member

Media:
    Looks good! But you forgot to take the car to spa day before posting pics LOL

You also need to upgrade to them front brake lights :D:D

5rebel9 likes this.
  10. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    As the WIFE has asserted control of the GEM, I have LIMITED time to do the "cleaning" it should regularly get by its MAJOR DRIVER!..LOL
    And she does not like front brake lights either for such a "mod" to be done!...HaHa:)

11. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    I got a little DRY /down time with the GEM on Tues, so I sanded down the excess epoxy. Now having trouble locating spray touch up paint for it's color. Was told that an Adv. Auto store nearly 30 miles from home mixes paint AND can put it in a spray can. Will have to check that out with a direct land line or visit the location WITH the GEM!

EDIT: BTW for what it is worth the GEM was brought to life in 10/97! So technically a 20 year old car, but designated a '98 model!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  12. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    OKAY, Need some expert paint people from here to help me out.
    The roof panel on our coupe is having the clearcoat turn white and in spots flaking away, suggestions for a home done repair???..PLEASE????