Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Dodge Avenger R/T
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I’m gonna be getting a jet ski this week, and I’m installing a hitch onto my avenger to pull it. As far as the trailer lights go, there are kits out there for 60-100 and I don’t wanna spend that much if I don’t have to.... I found a 4 pin wiring thing on Amazon for like $15. It’s just the 4 pins, and the wires. No control box etc. is it possible to splice that in without any control box? Like one wire into one turn signal wire and and one into the other? I’m not sure exactly how it works.... please let me know what I could do! I mean, should I even worry about wiring in trailer lights if I don’t plan on driving at night? And if I can’t do it the way I’m thinking, can anyone give me info on what’s the cheapest option I could do. I have a 2008, R/T 3.5L

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
IF your car has factory LED tail lights, then NO you will need the converter box. And YES lights need to be hooked up (and working) in most any state for any trailer....unless YOU want to risk a discussion with one of those nice FRIENDLY law enforcement folk.

·
Registered
2008 Dodge Avenger R/T
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IF your car has factory LED tail lights, then NO you will need the converter box. And YES lights need to be hooked up (and working) in most any state for any trailer....unless YOU want to risk a discussion with one of those nice FRIENDLY law enforcement folk.
Dang I figured that would be the case. Thankyou

·
Registered
2008 Dodge Avenger R/T
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I mean I did install LEDs to the back and I do have a regulator and it works fine no problems. Is it still possible to splice into those brake and turn signal wires? And I do have power from the battery ran to the back already

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
For the BEST answer is to go to a trailer site and see what is called for to hook up to your particular application(particularly an 08 Avenger).

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Best and easiest solution is to get the plug and play system. That way you won't risk having electrical issues in the future. I would never run a trailer behind a vehicle even in daylight. I also recommend an led trailer light upgrade as the led's get peoples attention quicker. It's all about safety. Also the led lights don't have to be disconnected to back a trailer into the water to get the jet ski or boat launched.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts