Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a no crank, no start situation with 2010 Avenger SXT. Dash lights, horn and radio working. I have tested all of the fuses and relays.moving on to check wire from battery to starter. Can't locate starter and don't want to pull everything off the engine to find it. Could someone send info/pic? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Well the starter for all motor sizes is located low in the front center of the motor and is rather difficult to get at with out some disassembly of parts. Depending on which motor it has. And you thought the battery was a toughy?
Did you check for the neutral safety switch that works off the shifter that it is fully in park or neutral first? I know I am kind of guessing at what you have done so far, but that is a more common cause of your issue. Also the shift cable can pop off the trans. connection and leave trans in a gear and cause a similar symptom. These are a lot easier things to check first, Little to no "disassembly required"! Hope this can help you out! Please keep us informed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit! My son said that he put it in drive and when he pressed on the gas it went in reverse before he turned it off. I also saw some videos on the shift. Just didn't put it together. Will delve into it tomorrow. Truly appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Yup, sounds like the ball and socket connection popped at the transmission. Metal ball and plastic cable end socket.Once you get it back together, if shifter movement seems stiff you need to spray some penetrating oil where the gear selector rod goes into the trans case, they love to get "sticky" there, and I believe is partly why the cable pops off the ball connector there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pulled center console out. The pink plastic piece on the left of the shift still has the spring attached (which most youtube videos point to the cause of shifter failure). Yet, I have to manually move the pink plastic piece on the right hand side to free it up. The dash display shows the car being in reverse no matter where I move the shift to. The key is now locked in the ignition. One more thing to work on.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
OH Oh, should have looked out on the transmission FIRST,I believe you will probably find your main trouble there. Also have heard of the connector breaking off the actual metal shift cable. And key is locked because it is showing in a gear, there is a "tie in" from shifter to ignition switch.

EDIT: in my opinion, the check under the hood takes less effort to do also...LOL

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It was the bushing on the transmission end of the shifter cable - ordered.

Now to figure out the key locked in the ignition issue. I did put the transmission in park and the shifter is in park as well. Still nothing. Always fun to work on a car that is losing battery as you go. Although, no one can steal it as we have no other key and no way to lock it and get back in. LOL

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
the cable has a "self adjuster sleeve" as part of it, if I am not mistaken and even though the trans may be in the park position the shifter may not be fully there inside the car and that "tie in" that I spoke of in proper position. I have not had to play with an Avenger models shifter but my Neon is very near the same set up. Not sure what all you moved as you worked inside the car first, so kind of "blind" to next suggestions. Could disconnect the ground cable to "save the battery though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: Have the new shift cable bushing on. New battery installed. Powered up dash. Then went dead.

I figured out that the battery connection was not good. (Did I say how moronic the designers were putting the battery in the front corner panel?) I don't know about other Avengers, but this one has zero play in the battery connection wires.

So, just to see if it was the battery or some override, I ran jumper cables from the battery to the posts in the engine compartment. We have power and are able to start the vehicle. Still not able to get the key out of the ignition. The display showed that the car was in park. I am able to shift between gears. Starts whether in Park or in Neutral.

I am going to use the jumper cables for my connection until I can resolve the key issue.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
There should be some small cable from floor shifter that goes up to the ignition switch, my bet is it disconnected there when the main cable malfunctioned and why you had the comment of moving the "pink" lever and no response from it.The steering column covers should come off rather easily and you can look to see if that small cable is hooked up as it should be.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Yes,Do as i suggested up on the column at the ignition switch the cable has a hook on connection. The "covers behind the steering wheel, and no you don't take the steering wheel off to do it.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
OR it may have disconnected from that pink lever on the floor shifter!!Opposite side from where the spring is mounted.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I apologize form my last post. I had not refreshed my screen and therefore, had not seen your reply.

Wire from shifter to the ignition seems fine from both ends. Engine light came on. Took it to Autozone and it blew a code P1607 - PCM Internal Shutdown Timer Rationality. I was told to have it checked out ASAP. I am sure that is a separate issue from the key.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Probably from key being in so long...SMART(dumb) key and its module in the steering column..
To release the key where the wire hooks up should be able to manually move to release the "catch" and is probably out of adjustment from when the main cable came apart.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am guessing that the P1607 code came from when the battery slowly drained due to not disconnecting the ground cable earlier.

Son to take car to a friend who is more "mechanically inclined" than I am.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Well you gave it the good old college try! and got most of the problem taken care of! Credits for that!! And sight unseen, kind of hard to talk one through it, step by step! Let us know how the 'venger comes thru the next set of surgical(?) hands!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
BUMP? could you please let us know how this concern gets resolved? There are many that will probably come looking for a complete answer for a same problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The mechanically inclined friend played with the ignition wires and the electronic piece attached to the cable at the shifter. Whatever he did, the key was released. Parts are to be purchased and installed at a later time.

Another problem arose once key was out. When my son would unlock and open his door, the alarm would go off until he turned the car on. I did see in another post that if you do not use the electronic means to lock your doors (push down on the knob) the alarm does not go off when opening the door. So, that is what he is doing until he gets some money in his pocket.

Thanks again for all of your help!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Glad to hear that things are looking better now. Just remember that an unasked question is the one you need the answer to in order to gain needed knowledge! And I doubt very much that your issue is NOT isolated to just your ride, many others have probably had it too and just sent it off to the "dealership". KEEP in touch with us here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts