Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 avenger r/t 3.5l that i bought new and at times no rhymes or reason temperature or brand of fuel the stater stays engaged "cranking" sometimes have to turn ignition off and restart and it always starts and runs fine, it might not do it for a month? it has spent sometimes up to two weeks in the dealer ship , they have replaced the ignition switch some kind of switch behind the dash, stater relay and mopar says they have never seen this problem? another mechanic which used to be a mopar tech which opened his own garage says he thinks its the tpn module? which is very expensive . any thoughts? by the way the car has life time power train warranty and i also bought bumper to bumper mopar warranty when bought the car new. any info would be great. Thanks for your time.:kap:

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
If it's not the starter solenoid then I would guess it's the starter itself:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
There is a starter solenoid built into the starter itself. Over time the contact points get pitted and burnt and could possibly overheat and arc itself together. I have replaced the solenoid components themselves for about $25 and about an hours labour. The dealer will soak you for about $300 for the starter plus installation. I have done this with 3 different Mopars will success on all. Todays mechanics won't even attempt to do the rebuild as for them and the dealership it is worth more cash to replace rather than do the simple repair.

Not the exact starter but the procedure is the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpP2_KYqDVE

Go to the 3 min 30 second area for the steps.

A good auto part dealer should be able to source the solenoid or parts as it is a Mitsubishi starter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
stater stays cranking then it starts sometimes

thanks guys it's not the stater either. been there done that, thanks....it's electrical but still do not have a answer ? a good mechanic that i know says it's the TPN or "tip in" module? like i said before its under warranty, and i can not demand on a guess nor is mopar going to throw any more parts at it either? just thought someone else on here as experienced the same problem. :kap:

·
Premium Member
6,878 Posts
Welcome back! did you ever get it sorted out?
A lot of MOPARS had trouble with the ignition (key cylinder part)being sticky. as you say it happens intermittently.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome back! did you ever get it sorted out?
A lot of MOPARS had trouble with the ignition (key cylinder part)being sticky. as you say it happens intermittently.
not a ignition sticking, been there done that, but thanks though....

·
Registered
269 Posts
still doing it.
Its the starter dude.. I just had the same issue... eventually the starter died. I took it apart and noticed the small electrical contact was full of dirt and grime.. I replaced the starter -- no issues.. Do you have HIDs installed, because those are also known to cause electrical issues with the exact same symptoms. So, its either one or the other.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mine will work fine for several days . you go some where turn it off for 45 minutes to a hour and you come back out and go to start it and the starter stays cranking until you turn ignition off and restart? the hotter the temperature "outside" the more it acts up? thanks........

·
Premium Member
6,878 Posts
Much like the fuel pump relay and a few other things... I do believe the starter relay is "hard wired" onto the TIPM panel. Only other thing I can think of.

·
Registered
269 Posts
mine will work fine for several days . you go some where turn it off for 45 minutes to a hour and you come back out and go to start it and the starter stays cranking until you turn ignition off and restart? the hotter the temperature "outside" the more it acts up? thanks........
My car displayed the same issues i happened during this summer in FL hot weather. The starter eventually died, and the car wouldnt turn over. I replaced the starter myself, now im good to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts