Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Dodge Avenger that had been sitting idle for 18 months. The battery was obviously flat but it started with a jump start. I drove it home and then replaced the battery - since replacing the battery, there is power to the car, but the steering wheel
Is locked and the car won’t start or even turn over.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
What year is your Avenger? Does the key turn in the ignition? Your transmission may not be truly in the park position. There may be a problem with the key, the cylinder, the shifter or shifter cable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, it’s a 2009 Avenger. The key turns no prroblem and I can change the gear selector from Park to all the gears.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Did you try another key fob also try starting in neutral? The gear selector may indicate that the car is in park but if the cable is off at the transmission it may not be. It may be in gear preventing the engine from turning over.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
do the electronics come on?
do you hear the fuel pump pressurize the line?
does the starter do anything, click, hum, grind? Or is it dead silent and nothing? Try to push the vehicle, ideally with it rolling slap it into gear to nudge the flywheel. You may have found a dead spot where everything aligned just right to do nothing

Then again, if the steering wheel is locked, not sure if there is a cutoff switch linked to it, but it alludes to a problem with the lock

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Electronics cone on, power to everything. No sound to the starter - can’t be towed as the steering wheel is locked.

I thought as I changed the battery, perhaps the security system has malfunctioned - I have no clue how to fix it…

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
it's fwd car, the locked wheels don't matter for towing.

does the vehicle arm and disarm from the fob? Leave it armed and open the door, does the alarm go off? If so, alarm should be fine.

have you tried to contact the previous owner to see if they had any input? Might be something they had happen too

1 - 10 of 10 Posts