Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2008 Dodge Avenger SXT (2.4L Auto) and I want it to sound deep. I know being a 4 cyl it's not going to be deep like a V8, but I want something to give it a mean, legal sound. I have thought about just deleting the muffler and straight piping it. Would that be too loud?

I live in a small town in Indiana and I only have one custom muffler shop near me. The cheapest option is for them to chop off the muffler and just put a pipe. Keeping everything stock, just no muffler. How loud would this be? Would it be deep or ricey sounding? And would I piss off any cops?

Money is a big issue. So I'm trying to do things cheap. I even thought about just getting flex pipe and a few U or hose clamps and getting it over with. But I want it to look and sound good.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Welcome to the forum! There are lots of options for you but a lot of it is personal preference. Too loud for one person might be too quiet for another. There are many threads on the topic here on the forum. There are also some great videos on YouTube that let you hear what your car could sound like.

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
Welcome to the group!

You may want to investigate your local and state laws before making any drastic exhaust changes, some states have decibel levels or do not allow straight pipes. Although with the advent of catalytic converters todays cars seem to run a little quieter than the OLD non catalyst cars. Good old U.S. of A. is a big place, could you narrow it down a little? After a re-read of your thread Indiana is a good "narrow down", you may like to consider updating that to your information. Here in NY there is no inspection law on exhaust, BUT one can be easily ticketed for LOUD EXHAUST. A lot depends on what else you are doing to draw the "eye" of the law that enables them to come "check out" you and your ride!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Welcome man. Good to see another guy from indiana. I've recently been following a dodge avenger page on Facebook. Seen a a guy post a video with straight pipe duals on a 2.4. You should check it out. Dodge Avengers Owners Group is the name.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I own a 2008 Dodge Avenger SXT (2.4L Auto) and I want it to sound deep. I know being a 4 cyl it's not going to be deep like a V8, but I want something to give it a mean, legal sound. I have thought about just deleting the muffler and straight piping it. Would that be too loud?

I live in a small town in Indiana and I only have one custom muffler shop near me. The cheapest option is for them to chop off the muffler and just put a pipe. Keeping everything stock, just no muffler. How loud would this be? Would it be deep or ricey sounding? And would I piss off any cops?

Money is a big issue. So I'm trying to do things cheap. I even thought about just getting flex pipe and a few U or hose clamps and getting it over with. But I want it to look and sound good.
dont just go straight pipe add something like cheery bomb or something give it some rumble just straight pipe sounds ok but isnt the greatest , put it to dual y pipe out and you got a sound ppl will look at right away

·
Registered
3 Posts
I removed the "suitcase" muffler last July, and replaced it with straight pipe that got larger as it went back to a new chrome exgaust tip, and I like it. It almost sounds like a custom system, and at highway speeds, you can hardly tell it was modded. By the way, that big muffler weighs about 50 pounds
more than just pipe.

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
@eddiemech, Good to have you post in again! Have you also "modded" your engine to an aircraft powerplant status yet? I was a jet engine tech for A-4 skyhawks in my military service!. And yes, that suitcase of a muffler leaves a lot to be desired of!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts