Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I experienced a weird problem on the highway on a long drive about a month ago...I had been driving along for about 2 hours on the highway with the cruise control engaged, and the battery indicator popped on, a little alarming but nothing happened for about 30 minutes, when the cruise control disengaged on its own and I began to slow down, at which point I hit the accelerator, the engine revved up but no power was going to the wheels. I continuously tried to accelerate as I slowed but I only got revs, with no acceleration.

I was able to pull off on a nearby exit, where I came to a complete stop, put the car in park, and then shifted back into drive, where the car accelerated like normal and I drove it the remaining ~90 minutes and made it home, the batter indicator stayed on for the rest of the drive, but I haven’t seen it come on since. Since then I have driven it for probably no more than 30 mins, highway and cruise control and all, running errands but the issue never happened again.

I am guessing this could be a transmission issue? But the battery indicator coming on threw me for a loop and I don’t see how the two could be connected (serpentine belt or something?)

It’s not a huge issue since it hasn’t happened since and hasn’t affected my normal driving, I’m just a little worried about taking it on longer drives. It’s a 2009 avenger 2.4L with almost 130k miles. Any idea on what may have caused that or could cause this issue again in the future would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,466 Posts
Happened a month ago? Are you sure it was the battery light and not the ETC(electric Throttle Control) light or CEL light?
How many miles on the car? How long since checking battery terminal cleanliness and condition(yup a pain in the butt)
Also the 2.4 uses a clutch drive pulley, that have been known to cause charging troubles by not engaging when demand for charging is called for. This is a bit different pulley arrangement than most other cars that use a regular "fixed" pulley on the alternator.
SO MANY possibilites to a "one time" happening, and nothing investigative to it being posted......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the car into the shop and the alternator was diagnosed as failing.

It was explained to me that the problem was likely caused by shorting or otherwise loss of electrical power to critical sensors that caused the TCM to kill power to the transmission relays to prevent a bigger issue. Hope this doesn’t happen to anyone else but this may help if it does.

Had the alternator replaced and hopefully never have that issue again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts